Thrive for Pain | Teen Ink

Thrive for Pain

I have had some things on my mind lately, and I remembered seeing some things related to Starwars that outline the thoughts on life I seem to be developing.

“Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.”

Can anybody guess what that is? That my friends, is an excerpt from the Sith Code. I am well aware that Starwars is fiction. I am well aware that nobody can use the force, and that lightsabers are not real. I am well aware that Starwars is intended to be a story, created to entertain, not to teach. But I am also well aware that the Sith Code, Mantra, Moto, Tenet, whatever you would like to call it, contains more truth than most texts I have read. I am too lazy to explain each line of it in detail for those of you who don’t truly understand them, but know they speak a truth few things in life can offer. I may offer a written expansion of my thoughts on it, breaking it down line by line and explaining what I took from it, but that is entirely dependent on chance.

After finding that interesting bit of Starwars swag, I started looking for other possibly inspirational or thought provoking quotes from the Starwars universe. While doing so I came across this gem.

“Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your

greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to

take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.”

After some thought I found that the above quote it the motto of Nature. It is the intention of Nature, The World, The Universe, to help one reach the lowest, saddest, most fearful, deprived and deplorable state of existence possible. Not to say that there aren’t some things along the way that do try to have a positive impact on one’s life, because many do; I am just saying the vast majority of things are nothing more than hindrances, or obstacles for one to either overcome and become stronger, or fail and descend into said deplorable state of being.

So, here are a few closing thoughts on things. Life is full of inconsistencies. Nearly everything is changing constantly, and nobody can stop it regardless of how hard they try. We, as humans, find comfort in constancies. We crave a schedule of some sort that tells us what is to come, and what has gone. We crave something that is always there for us, no matter what the situation may be. Whether we know it or not, at the most basic of levels, we crave Pain. Pain is an everlasting, ever-present, omniscient force that rules over every aspect us. It always has been and always will be in our lives, and anything one does to break free from it is futile. In fact, they simply stave it off for a bit, which results in nothing more than it coming back in droves. While Pain by nature hurts, one can at least find comfort in its consistency.