Sports budget cuts | Teen Ink

Sports budget cuts

By OneillK BRONZE, Averill Park, New York
OneillK BRONZE, Averill Park, New York

"Theres nothing left to fear but fear itself"

Basketball is not just a mindless sport for jocks, it is peace of mind and harmony. But our School budget might take that right away from our freshmen sport lovers. There also not giving students a chance to participate because a freshmen making a Junior Varsity sport is very hard. I am talking about the School District budget.

First of all this budget has cut freshmen sports and all assistant coaches, but this would not have raised enough money anyway. The school budget wouldn’t raise much money because with these sports do not cut a lot out of the budget. People always say your impression on something or someone is the best and how can you get that chance when the budget won’t allow it. The only way we could stop this from happening in the district is voting against this budget, so it can give kids an opportunity to new things. We can also have a big fundraiser for these freshmen sports because it is not much money that it is taking out of the budget
. We can have car washes and some support money from donors or have basketball camps to raise money for the budget cutting. So act now Also this budget directly affects me because it’s more than just a hobby it’s my life and it is not easy as I said to make Junior Varsity but if I do get to play in freshmen sports you never know anyone can be famous.

Some might say we need to stay under the budget some, like me and all the freshmen sports playing people, say this would not even have that big an effect because it is one out of twenty five things being cut from our budget. Other people also will say we don’t need freshmen but we do because anyone can be the next best thing in sports and they could miss out on the opportunity by not giving us the chance.

Finally this budget is not only cutting what I love it is also cutting theater classes and certain freshmen coaches. Imagine how you would feel if you were a coach getting cut for a little percentage of money gain and believe it or not its only cutting
the budget down by 3 percent out of the other twenty five things being cut. Additionally I know a lot of people who are going to move and switch to a variety of other schools. So that will mean not a lot of people will be paying taxes in the district because they will move and the School District will not receive a lot of money.

I hope that this will inspire kids every where to go for there dreams and never quite even if there is obstacles.