The Joys of Physical Education | Teen Ink

The Joys of Physical Education

By Jessica Gillum BRONZE, Syracuse, Indiana
Jessica Gillum BRONZE, Syracuse, Indiana
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

When people ask me what my least favorite class is in school, I know what it is, and don’t even have to think about it. Physical Education, more commonly known as PE. Guys dripping in sweat, the running of miles and miles outside in the sweltering sun, oh yeah, lots of fun…

I have resisted time and time again asking the drill sergeants who run the class, why don’t you run those 5 miles with us today? Then after you run, you have to come inside and take a sometimes mandatory shower. That is absolutely disgusting. Stripping in front of your peers and taking an ice cold shower in a cold and moldy filled shower room which looks like it hasn’t been cleaned since it was built. Yeah, lots of fun… Oh, and don’t forget you get to feel sweaty, stink, and sit by the boys who smell like they accidentally fell in manure for the rest of the day. Oh, yuck.

And let’s not forget all of the kids who act like gym are the Olympics. Yeah, you know the ones who hog the ball and think that they are amazing, the ones that make mistakes and blame it on everyone else. Really? It’s just gym class. Chill out. Then there are the ones who don’t care at all, mostly the girls who stand there and chat with their other girly friends, drives me up the wall. Don’t participate if you don’t want to, it’s your grade. Another request, please don’t scream when a ball is coming in you direction. Chances are, it’s no going to hit you. If by chance there is a pop fly in kickball and its sailing down towards your face at 90 miles and hour, just get out of the way, duh.

So in all, is it really necessary for everyone to get sweaty every day for gym? No, I think not. I support not-mandatory gym classes for the kids who really want to take gym, weed out the ones who really don’t want to be in that class. And if all of these adults are really honestly worried about America’s obesity rates, and think that they can stop it by not cutting physical education, tell them to stop cutting our recesses (which are way more fun), or just remind them of their days in gym.

I really not an athletic person who necessarily enjoys gym. I have no cordination at all, and i am usually one of the last ones to be picked for any sport...But at least I can joke about it :)