Does It Really Matter? | Teen Ink

Does It Really Matter?

By ironicviews BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts
ironicviews BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts

if ya aint first, ya last

Where ever I go, I am always asked what I am? The most obvious answer: A Girl. But then I am asked "where are you from?" so I again go with the most obvious answer, "Earth..." but then the real question come out, " what country is your family from?" I just honestly do not understand why it matters. We are all one. When Pangaea was still around and the super continent had not moved we were all one race. so why does it matter now? I am a lot of things. I am a writer, a reader, an athlete, a mathlete. I am whatever I set my mind to. I am not A race. I am THE race, a part of the human race, as everyone is. But in reality, what are we racing to? The utter destruction of the human kind because of interior discrimination? So why does it matter what my skin color is, or how straight my hair is. Where my family is from and what race caused my eyes to be this color. I know who I am, I know what I am, now it is time for you or figure who you are, what you are. Are you a label or a person?

I have a Korean exchange student living with my family and she wanted to know about American history and as I was telling her about it I realized a lot of the problems in this country stem from racism and hate and discrimination and I felt someone had to hear the view of today's youth and how, not all, but at least one feels.