How to Get Through a Breakup | Teen Ink

How to Get Through a Breakup

By alicain4 BRONZE, Mahopac, New York
alicain4 BRONZE, Mahopac, New York

First, cry. You have to feel the pain of loosing someone or else you'll never get through this. Trust me. Think about all the good tims you shared, feel his touch, and listen to Taylor Swift songs. Make sure you have your friends nearby to lean on with a box of Kleenex and a gallon of Ben & Jerrys. Watch The Notebook, look at old pictures, and hate your life; but only momentarily. Cry yourself to sleep and wear sweatpants to school. It's okay, really. After the crying is done, get mad. Really mad. Give him dirty looks in the hallway and talk to other boys in front of him. It might not have an effect on him but at least it'll make yourself feel just a little bit better. Go home and take all of his once-golden things out of your room. Yes, every little last thing, including his sweatshirt that you have stuffed under your pillow. Get a big, black, garbage bad and throw all of his stuff away. There's no need to keep someone's stuff that doesn't mean anything to you anymore. After you get all of his meaningless crap in the bag, you have three options. First, you could just throw it out, which of course would be the mature thing to do. However, with a broken heart, you're not feeling too mature at the moment. Your second option is you could burn his things. Make sure you play Pink's song "So What" loudly and just throw everything away. Don't feel bad about it. At all. You cannot feel remorse for a boy that has broken your heart. Your last option is to give it back to him. This would require actually having to talk to this person who has just screwed you over. If you decide to do this, make sure you're prepared to deal with what may or may not happen. Be ready to stand with your head held up high and as much as you might have the yearning to cry, hold it in. Trust me, crying will give him the satisfaction of knowing your upset. Once you're through with this whole process, BREATH! Get your mind off of him and spend time with the people that mean the most to you. Go shopping. Go out with your friends. Enjoy life and know that it does go on. You will okay one day. I'm living proof.

I was at a Young Author's Conference and one of my workships was called ''The Creative College Application". We had to write a "how to" as an example of something we could write for a creative college application essay. I'm not going to submit this for college f.y.i but I am open to any criticism :)"