We Can All Think for Ourselves | Teen Ink

We Can All Think for Ourselves

By JesChelle BRONZE, Heber, Utah
JesChelle BRONZE, Heber, Utah

When people ask others what their religion is, they automatically hope to hear that they are of the same beliefs, and they can chat about how wonderful and beautiful their religion is.

But when they hear that the other person believes in a different religion, or no religion at all, they are sometimes understanding, other times they are judgmental.
This happens to me a lot, while talking to friends once I said I don’t believe in god.
They Immediately said then you are going to hell. I asked them “do you think I'm going to hell? If yes, why? Would God condemn me to eternal torture just for not believing him in the face of a huge lack of evidence? Why did he create me with my questioning, rational mind if I was going to be punished for exercising it? If no, then there's no reason to bother believing in him anyway.” They were stunned.

I wish that more people could understand more about why I wish others didn’t judge others, nobody is perfect, I understand that, but why can’t others try harder?
I honestly think that we can do better, yes I was religious before and I used to do this all the time, judging people left and right.

Why can we not just leave people alone? Because, we must try to make others feel worse than us and find someone that we are But what on earth could we do to stop this? We must all try to be better, even myself. We all judge others but it is not the right thing to do. We must all try to be more polite and try harder. If we can not do it, then humans will never be able to accept others the way they are.