Got Perfectionism ? | Teen Ink

Got Perfectionism ?

January 13, 2011
By amari stucking BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
amari stucking BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Okay, I admit I have a case of perfectionism . When it comes to school anything less than A- Or a B + is wrong and my whole world shuts down. Outside of school my clothes , the way I talk, and even sadly folding laundry must be what I consider as PERFECT ! But, first let me give you an example of what perfectionism is and how it affects my life.

One day in when I was in third grade. I was finishing my multiplying by nines worksheet. It was to be finished by the end of class. I heard someone get up and go to the teacher. That person got all the questions right and was done before me. That sent me into overdrive and into an anxiety attack. Soon, I was in the nurses office so that I taking extra puffs of my asthma inhaler. An example of the effects of perfectionism.. I was mad that someone else has done better than me, was faster than me and had done it perfectly.


So exactly what is perfectionism ? Perfectionism is a belief that perfection can and should be attained . The problem is no one is perfect and, as humans we should know that. "Understand it's impossible to achieve perfection," says Steven Hendlin, Ph.D., a clinical and sports psychologist in Irvine, California says. "Just because you can conceive it doesn't mean you can achieve it.”


Perfectionism is like never missing a shot in archery and, hitting the bulls eye every time.. Simply impossible!


Perfectionism has a huge impact on child’s mental health. It can lead to psychological disorders such as extreme anxiety, depression, and eating disorders. Tal-Ben Shaar writes,
“ Perfectionism not only causes anxiety disorders but can itself be understood as a form of anxiety disorder “ .This anxiety disorder is called Failure Anxiety. It’s the constant fear of failure. Perfectionism can lead also to eating disorders like Anorexia and Bulimia. The depression aspect of it is fault-finding , all or nothing thinking, and an immense obsession with goals.


Perfectionism also has an impact on child’s social life. Perfectionism can lead to social phobia. Social phobia is anything associated with situations in which you are subject to criticism by others.

The negative affects are resulting. The list looks like this. Low productivity: As a perfectionists you tend to pay a lot of attention to unimportant details. So you usually need longer to complete work. Also longer time to dress, eat, sleep. Normal day to day stuff that usually doesn’t take long. People are not perfect like ( Dr. Hendlin said this !!! ). and moments of failure can haunt you. In times of ( just little) failure, you may hate yourself for being imperfect. This can result in low self-esteem and mild to extreme depression . More stress, The desire to be perfect in every way, will put you under a huge, constant and, unhealthy pressure.

But, perfectionism can be cured and, you can learn to have a normal life being happy with everyday mistakes. It often takes the help of a therapist and sometimes even medication to help ease the anxiety caused by perfectionism. But, the benefits are worth the trouble of getting help. I
As for me. Like they say knowing is half the battle. Knowing that perfectionism is a problem for me let‘s me work with my parents to see help in fixing it. They say we learn from our mistakes right??? Well, with help for my perfectionism maybe, one day I will make them. Kidding !!