Nutcracker 2010 | Teen Ink

Nutcracker 2010

December 2, 2010
By Nicole Lloyd BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
Nicole Lloyd BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Clara: a part to remember, every ballerina’s dream. Ever since my first year in “Nutcracker”, this is what I wanted, this meant everything to me. This was it, now or never.
Every year at Campbell’s Dance Studio they put on a production of the “Nutcracker”. This year, I was auditioning for Clara, the main character. Right after I finished tying my Pointe shoe ribbons all 14 girls were called into the audition room. I took my first step into the room and my nerves took over my body. I could not understand why this was happening, five minutes before I had been completely fine; in fact, I was more confident than ever. I was standing in front of the four most intimidating people on earth, their faces showed no emotion. My feet were in first position aching, and my hands were shaking. Larry, my dance instructor, stood up and taught a few combinations. All of the dancers danced them to the best of their ability. Finally, Larry whispered to the other judges and then said, “Thank you ladies, you may leave.” I left the room and went home. All that was left to do was to wait.
Five days later it was results day. This was it; I was finally going to find out if I was Clara. I pulled up to the dance studio, and I saw the “Nutcracker” results list posted on the window. I sprung out of the car and dashed to the window. There it was, my name next to the word Clara. I could not believe it, I was Clara! My wish had come true. A rush of happiness ran through my body, and a big smile appeared on my face. I was shouting and bouncing all over the place. I bet I looked pretty silly, but I did not care, this moment was just way too exciting.
I never actually realized that this could happen to me. I thought my nerves had gotten to me during auditions. I guess I was wrong; a little ballerina can always get her wish. Nicole Lloyd is Clara, 2010.


The author's comments:
My name is Nicole L and in my dance studio's yearly production of the Nutcracker I was casted as the role of Clara (the star), and it may possibly be the best thing that has ever happened to me.