Comedians Need to Have the Last Laugh | Teen Ink

Comedians Need to Have the Last Laugh

December 10, 2010
By NightStalker PLATINUM, San Diego, California
NightStalker PLATINUM, San Diego, California
21 articles 1 photo 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
-Adam Savage


We all love comedians like The Smothers Brothers, Billy Connelly, David Letterman, and Jay Leno... not! Individuals are constantly censoring these unique breed of humans for what they say or do. Some feel this is best solved by the first amendment. Others feel strongly that they are vile wastes of skin no matter what the latter party thinks. Then there's a third party that believes comedians are an inspiration and are actually funny. This is why.
Addressing those that use the Freedom of Speech to help with censorship; ask, "What is the Freedom of speech?" Well, some say it is the individuals right to say what they want to without being told what to say. Others affirm that it is a necessity for a self-governing democracy. No matter what, this interpretation of the freedom of speech is probably the most debated and true, and it is:
Freedom of speech is essential to the development of the individual personality... vital to the process of peaceful social change... vital to the attainment and advancement of knowledge... and it has been argued from time to time that certain categories are totally outside the purview of the First Amendment. (Levy790)
Now, that last portion really raises some eyebrows of those that want comedians censored, and points are awarded to these people. Firstly, anyone who has listened to a comedian's show has heard their remarks on politics and politicians, David Letterman and Jay Leno do it all the time. Subjects like racism and religious persecution are not forgotten either. And, not to put to fine a point on it, but Ted Gottfried said it eloquently concerning the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour with "Following Seeger's performance, CBS took Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour off the air- it was the last straw for an irrelevant show that had constantly riled the network's self-censor"(Gottfried 67). This all comes to the aid of the pro-censorship community.
Contrariwise, Moritz said the same show was "... marred solely by a recurring battle with network censors"(Moritz 372a). This states that people want to say whatever it is they want to say. Also, some ideas are not even allowed to be aired after their shot, rejected completely, or edited out of books by, whom else, the editor. And, something comedians like Tom Smothers were notorious for was arguing night and day with the network's censors over a question of taste. And Billy Connelly said to further prove this "Comics should decide for themselves what makes people laugh"(Scotsman 1a)
I assuredly believe that the rights to be left alone and say whatever the crap you want to are the basics of all freedoms. And one can't express their true, inner, most passionate thoughts if they have to talk on only one topic with a single, mono-toned voice. I would sacrifice anything thing, even my own life, to keep these freedoms alive. No matter how hard someone would try I would teach those around me all these basic beliefs. Like Mr. Levy put it, Freedom of speech is essential to the development of the individual personality. And besides, if it offends you, don't listen to it. It's that simple.
Comedians should have the right to say whatever they want without getting censored. It is their and every person's unalienable rights to be free to say what they want, when they want, and in front of whomever they want. Granted, they are offensive to some, but to others, they are comic geniuses. In another quote by Billy Connelly, he said: "I don't offend, that's not my job...There's a lot of deep and desperate unfairness been going on." There is a warning if these words are brushed aside; censorship is every writer's, artists', and even the whole world's worst enemy. And if society continues to support it will arise and burn it with the fires from which society created it.