Arizona SB1070 | Teen Ink

Arizona SB1070

By AngelB BRONZE, Watsonville, California
AngelB BRONZE, Watsonville, California

In Arizona there is a law called SB1070 that forces police officers to use racial profiling. They have to ask people if they have legal documentation just by looking at the way the look. I am against this law and I think it should be repealed. This law promotes racial especially against Mexicans. The other reason I don’t like this law is that it’s unconstitutional.
This law promotes racial profiling. Some Mexican are scared to come out of their houses in fear that they will get deported. If a cop sees a Latino that looks like he doesn’t have legal documentation they are forced to stop them and question them about their documentation. First offence is up to $500 plus court costs and 20 days in jail second offence is up to $1000 fine and up to 6 months in jail.
I also don’t like it because it’s unconstitutional. Racial profiling is against the law and polices officers are doing it because they have to. Some police officers don’t want to do it some don’t have a problem with it. And it’s also not right to judge someone by the way they look
Some people don’t like Latinos because they say we take all the jobs. It’s wrong to say that because I don’t see anyone else but Latinos working in fields.
I am against the law SB1070 because it has racial profiling and it unconstitutional. We should get together and do something about it because we are part of this country.

I like to be at home

DaniellaJ said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 10:53 am
Unfortunately, you are misinformed. It's NOT racial profiling. Police can't just ask random citizens for their creds. If you are convicted of a crime, the police get to check up on you. Many cities across the country do this already. It keeps illegal criminals out of their areas.