Strong Women | Teen Ink

Strong Women

By bnj111 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
bnj111 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Women in America have finally started to gain power and equal rights. Now that we have that power, shouldn't we use them? There is one problem that is bringing women down instead of up. Eating disorders such as Anorexia and Bulimia are causing women to appear weaker in today's society.
Anorexia is an eating disorder in which people starve themselves. It is most common in women. Women mostly become anorexic because they feel overweight. Women are making themselves look weak in the world today. There is a very small percentage of men who have eating disorders. Children grow up to think that anorexia is not a bad problem. They see the actresses in the magazines and wish that they could look like that. They are oblivious to the fact that those women are suffering. Women need to take a stand and stop the eating disorders once and for all. We can't allow the world think we are weak and regret giving us power.
Anorexia and Bulimia have many serious side effects. Side effects include weakness, shortness of breath, shrunken bones, and even death. Eating disorders even causes many problems in pregnancy. Anorexia affects not only the victim, but it affects the victim's family. If women are to put up a strong image, they shouldn't be tearing people down. How can we show that we are strong independent women if we are hurting ourselves and the people around us?
Eating disorders has many visible side affects, as well as emotional. As women, we are constantly bashed by society. They say we are too emotional and can’t do what men can do. We shouldn't make the world think that any of that is true know. Let's show the world that we are independent, powerful, and sturdy women who deserve just as much power in the world. How can we do this when we are making ourselves throw up, refusing to eat, being seriously weak and tired all the time, and having serious weight issues. We can't help in the world if we are always sick and tired because we are starving ourselves.
Women are climbing their way up to being just as powerful as men. We need to seize this power and use it for good. How can we do that if we are suffering and becoming weak from eating disorders? Take a stand for women. Stop the eating disorders and show the world what women can do!