Footprints | Teen Ink

Footprints

By MyConstRuctd_IdentiTy SILVER, Chardon, Ohio
MyConstRuctd_IdentiTy SILVER, Chardon, Ohio

"One heartbeat."

"Our scars remind us of where we've been; they don't dictate where we're going."
-SSA David Rossi, Criminal Minds

“One night, a man had a dream. He dreamed that he was walking along a beautiful beach with the Lord. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.

For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; one belonging to him, the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of the man’s life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He was aware that many times along the path of his life that there was only one set of footprints. He also saw that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered the man, and he questioned the Lord about it.

“Lord, You said that once I decided to follow You, You’d walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don’t understand why, when I needed You most, You would leave me.”

The Lord replied, “My son, My precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.’”

**Please note everyone that I did not write this. I merely edited and changed a few words. I would give you the true author’s name, however, it is unknown.

**Also, please know that I follow no specific faith. I do believe in God, yes, but I am neither Christian, nor Catholic, nor any other religion. I hope none of you take this piece the wrong way. I only wished to submit it to TeenInk for its originality, and because I personally find it quite thought-provoking; for both followers of faith, followers of science, and everyone in-between.

I hope you enjoy.

on Oct. 28 2010 at 6:43 pm

"One heartbeat."

-SSA David Rossi, Criminal Minds

To be honest, I found this on a bookmark. I just had to get it, because, like I said in my article comment, I thought it was thought-provoking, and it interested me. I’m glad you like the article/poem, and had the chance in your life to read it. Not many people pay attention to little things like this. :)

KPB406 said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 11:59 am
KPB406, Plaquemen, Louisiana
My grandmother used to read this story to me often when I was little. I have to say it was one of my favorite short stories. At times I feel like I had once experienced this moment in the past. Not exactly of course, but in simpler terms.