Freedom of Expression is a Right

What ever happened to the right to express yourself? The schools have taken most of our rights away. They want us to think alike, act alike, and look alike. Why is it such a distraction for kids to dye their hair?

The schools have done a good job teaching us our rights as a citizen. So why aren't the rights being enforced? Teachers say we can't have unnatural colors in our hair. Colors in the hair are a distrction to the learning process. I can't figure out what they mean by this because the only people distracted by anything that kids wear are the teachers. I don't know when the United States decided to adopt communism in the schools.

Although there are many things in school that can be considered a distraction, the schools consider hair dye one of the biggest. Why is such a small thing such a big deal? Many teenagers want to dye their hair, and we're only children once. When the teachers were kids, didn't they ever want to do something that the school wouldn't allow?

After all, hair dye is a cheap and fun way to express your emotions or thoughts to the public. The schools don't seem to understand that colored hair isn't going to raise or lower test scores. It isn't going to lower or raise bullying. In fact I'm sure there wouldn't be much change other than more kids and parents would be happy.

In the end, my question is to the schoolboard. Why do you teach us our rights and then deny them to us?

singdance7 said...
great job! I didn't know this was an issue. At my school ,EVERYONE is dying their hair, weather highlights, lighter than natural, or darker or a crazy color like vibrant pink/blue.

Tomboy said...
May 12, 2010 at 10:13 am
awesome, i totally agree

ilovestarz said...
holy crap! i love this article. great job! :)