U.S Border | Teen Ink

U.S Border

By TRACYA BRONZE, Balch Springs, Texas
TRACYA BRONZE, Balch Springs, Texas

Live!Laugh!Love! =)

Rarely do we hear news about the advances of border control. We hear news about immigration and how we need to put an end towards it. There are people that protest against immigration everyday, trying to do everything they can in order to capture all illegal’s, but somehow these immigrants are still coming. Now is it that our borders aren’t fully protected or someone’s just not doing their job right?

When we say border patrol we automatically think of either our Mexican Border or Canadian Border. In fact, these borders are always seen as danger because there surrounding the United States and we gain more immigrants from Mexico than any other place. Protesters protest against the Mexican border everyday, when in fact we need to see how we can protect our system of travel.
December 2009, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, was cleared to fly over here to the United States from Amsterdam on Christmas day; which seems normal to do because it’s the holidays but this man had an explosive weapon in his underwear. Now as a society, we view what’s important within our borders here but we need to see the factor that this man was about to get into our borders killing innocent people. Security in airports is our border patrol. Every person that goes through security in any airport can be a threat, but somehow we missed to see this in Umar. We need to get better security laws towards this issue because these people that attempt to do harm here, are the ones we should be keeping out.
Now we invest “money” towards our border patrol here and we have been successful with keeping some things out of our country but the Mexican border is an issue I think no one will ever let go. Society protests against these poor people that are HUMANS not aliens, trying to come over not only from Mexico but also from other Latin American countries. There’s danger in these countries as well which gives the people a choice to either die there, or try to have a better life in the United States. Why can this be seen sometimes as a political asylum like Cubans have. Now I know its not the same story but some of the issues families have right now because of either the government or the increasing number of drugs/gangs should give them liberty in trying to come to America.
We invest money into our borders which is a good thing because we gain new technology that we can use to decrease immigration. It’s a great thing to invest in it because were changing the amount of danger that could possible ruin many communities, but there’s still a lot we haven’t done towards it. The border patrol has protected our borders very well, but the gain of drugs coming into our borders question what’s going on with this issue. The issue is that the Mexican Border isn’t fully closed completely. There are parts of the border open freely in the mountains and parts of the desert. Pictures have indicated that many drug cartels go through the mountains since the border is just a small fence. The border patrol says that “So long as the drug smugglers remain in Mexico, there is nothing the U.S. Border Patrol can do.” This doesn’t make sense because aren’t we the one’s that want this to stop, but the border patrol says they can’t do something unless they cross the border. Why is it that there’s nobody out there from the border patrol taking them in?
Therefore our society really has no clue with what’s going on, on our border. There’s still a lot we need to learn from it and the issues involving it. Are we fully protected from any danger around the states? Either from our borders or the airport system are we fully protected? As a society we need to view these things differently and not just argue saying “Send Them Back!”

I find that the safety of our border needs to improve a lot especially with the high numbers of drug cartels crossing the border everyday.

Anise said...
on May. 3 2010 at 11:04 am
Your passion is evident!  You surface important questions needing to be answered, like yesterday, by those who legislate.  Well done!

M&MS said...
on May. 3 2010 at 10:57 am
This article is really good, its true that our country needs to step up its securities. Very well put :D

KMN! said...
on May. 3 2010 at 10:46 am
This is boss. Your fact are very effective. You utulize both sides of the argument while still sticking to your opinion.