Should People Smoke In Public? | Teen Ink

Should People Smoke In Public?

April 12, 2010
By Avalon Faison BRONZE, Bronx, Ny, New York
Avalon Faison BRONZE, Bronx, Ny, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine walking down the street on your way to school or work wherever you want to go, and you pass a smoker. You seem to be just a little too close and you immediately start to cough and you find it hard to breathe due to the smoke coming from the smoker’s cigarette. Right then and there you are being exposed to second hand smoke and your life span has just been shortened.
People who smoke in public don’t just affect their own health, but they also affect the health of those around them. Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult non-smokers in the U.S. from second hand smoke. Why do others have to suffer when they don’t even smoke?

Many children are exposed to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), ear infection, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, and more severe asthma just from being exposed to second hand smoke.

According to www.parliament.uk/post/pn.pdf, in California 65% of the population say that they don’t like it when people smoke in public because of the smell, 45% say it is bad for their health, 35% say it makes their clothes smell, 20% say no to smoking in public because it affects their breathing, and 15% say that it makes them cough and gets in their eyes.

As you can see smoking in public is very hazardous to for the people other than the ones smoking and it causes a lot of consequences. Non-smokers should go out and tell everyone they know that they shouldn’t smoke in public and that they should be more considerate for the lives of those around them. Smoking in public has to stop!