Animal Experimentation | Teen Ink

Animal Experimentation

Millions of animals die in laboratories each year because of unnecessary testing or experimentation. They have been used in research for more than two thousand years. Some people believe that humans have power over animals because we have the ability to think and talk, but in my opinion, animals have rights too. This tells us that we should not use them in experimentation not only because it hurts them but also because there are alternatives to test certain medicines, food, or even cosmetics.
There has been countless animal experimentation. One counter argument is in 1950, when the Italian scientist Rita Levi-Montalcini killed several mice. The mice had cancer and this lead to the discovery of the nerve growth factor. This discovery is one of the positive things that we can get from animal experimentation, but it is not worth it if we know that we can do something else to avoid hurting animals. Another counter argument is that most scientists would say that animal experimentation is more accurate because it doesn’t only show how a certain product affects a certain body part, it also shows what the products effects are around the areas.
An alternative to animal testing is something called “in vivo”. It is when a lab table holds shallow glass dishes, each with a small dab of what looks like jelly. This jelly is really a culture- a food that keeps the cells alive. Some human cells are placed in each dish and chemicals that are being tested- like shampoo, household cleaners, and so forth are added into the dishes and are observed to see if there is any reaction.
PETA or people for the ethical treatment for the animals is an organization that for animal rights. PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in laboratories, in the clothing trade, and in the entertainment industry. PETA works through public education, campaigns, protests, and sometimes through volunteers too. . Their latest victory was getting the Sanders Ad agency quit using great apes in future ad campaigns. There are animal test that are efficient and reliable that can save countless animal lives. Unlike crude animal experimentations, non-animal research usually takes less time and money. Effective and less time-consuming alternatives include computer research and volunteers who willingly give cells to be tested.

I wrote this essay in hoping that people would help go against animal experimentation.