Chile Earthquake Shortens Earth's Time? | Teen Ink

Chile Earthquake Shortens Earth's Time?

March 4, 2010
By Toothpic BRONZE, Saginaw, Texas
Toothpic BRONZE, Saginaw, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers 'did you like it? I did it just for you'


The earthquake that devastated Chile on February 27 was 500 times more powerful than the one in Haiti. Measuring 8.8 on the Richter scale, Chile's earthquake was the seventh largest on record. It threw the earth off its usual rotation by 1.26 megaseconds. Some news stories may try to scare you into thinking thats a huge number but in reality it would take 2,174 years of daily earthquakes that size to add up to the earth being thrown off by just a second. Santiago and its Fine Art Museum were heavily effected by the earthquake. About 500,000 houses were damaged, and only 734 people are reported dead, a very low number for an earthquake that size. Chile was effected the most in the very center of it, the Maule Region.


The author's comments:
i was doing a report about Chile in general and I came across a lot of article talking about the CHILE EARTHQUAKE and I liked the part about it being effected by 1.26 milliseconds and everybody was freaking out.