facebook is becoming a distraction | Teen Ink

facebook is becoming a distraction

As the creation of new technology increases, our society has become more reliant on it. Going somewhere without your phone is like being disconnected from the world. Computers, phones, and many other electronics have made communicating across the world a thousand times easier. I remember when I was little and the only way I could reach one of my friends would be to pick up the house phone and call them. Nowadays, all I have to do is take out my phone, text them, and almost seconds later I receive a reply. Phones aren’t the only kind of communication, there is also the computer which has all kinds of websites where you can chat or connect with others. Email was once the cool way to talk to each other but now AIM and Facebook has taken its place. Facebook has recreated the definition of communication. You can now find friends from the past and make new ones for the future. Chatting with someone or writing on their wall gives you instant gratification. Facebook has become a major source of communication and can be a great way to learn new things. There are many positives about Facebook, there’s always the factor of it being a major distraction which can become a major down-side and cause much frustration.

Facebook has caused many students to become distracted from school and receive lower grades as a result of wasting time online. I have personally tried to test if not going on Facebook for a while would make a difference, and in the end it definitely did. Without Facebook, I had so much more time to do my homework and study for all my classes. Once I went back to going on it, there was a big difference in my completion of homework. I feel that if we didn’t have Facebook many students, including myself, would do a lot better in school. From personal experiences, I know for a fact that I would do so much better in school if I didn’t have all these distractions like Facebook and texting. As a teenager, it’s crucial to stay in touch with all your friends but when it comes to school we have to make some sacrifices. I have realized that school is a lot more important then trying to stay connected with all your friends. Although it seems like the most important thing right now, it’s only a little part of your life. But school is building your future and that’s really the only thing that will really matter in a couple years.
As a teenager there are many distractions in life, but they can easily become irrelevant if you know how to handle them. Facebook has caused way too many students to become distracted and fall behind in school. Even though Facebook can be a great way to communicate, it does not benefit anyone to use it during school. Eliminating distractions, such as the phone and computer, for even an hour or so, is the best way to stay on track in school and prosper as a growing student.

on Feb. 5 2012 at 2:49 pm
Wow. I do agree with you. My parents always tell me that Facebook was never great for me, especially for a 9th grader who goes to a school that's half college and high school. I am super addicted to facebook and I should really try what you do, because friends will come and go but education always comes first. Thanks for teaching me that(: