Why,Why animals? | Teen Ink

Why,Why animals?

By Sara-bear BRONZE, Alfred, Maine
Sara-bear BRONZE, Alfred, Maine

One day you decide that you are going to go for a run through your town, and you see a dog chained up. It's super thin, starving, has fleas, ticks, and has a lot of bruises! You wonder why the dog is out there but you figure that it's none of your business, trying to help out a dog you don't even know! But you figure that you should help the dog out. But you don't have a clue what to do! Its alone, scared of everything and everyone. You think about what you could do to help this dog, a) call the police b)leave the dog alone to die. You can't let the dog die so you chose to call the police. You tell them about the dog and they are on their way. They bring them to a shelter and they are safe for now. You feel so good that you helped out that dog, and now you have a new sense of purpose: To help abused animals! The person that abuses animals get 5-10 years in jail. But I don't think that is a long enough time for them to stay in jail!

There are two types of animal abuse, passive cruelty and active cruelty. Here is what they both mean. According to www.pet-abuse.com/pages/animal_cruelty.php “Passive cruelty is typified by cases of neglect, where the crime is a lack of action rather than the action itself - however do not let the terminology fool you. Severe animal neglect can cause incredible pain and suffering to an animal.” Here is what active cruelty means according to the same site “Active cruelty implies malicious intent, where a person has deliberately and intentionally caused harm to an animal, and is sometimes referred to as NAI (Non-Accidental Injury). Acts of intentional cruelty are often some of the most disturbing and should be considered signs of serious psychological problems. This type of behavior is often associated with sociopathic behavior and should be taken very seriously.” Most of the animals that get abused got to a shelter where they get the help and attention that they need. Here are some of the thing that you should look out for in animals. Missing hair, really thin, limping, ticks or fleas, and wounds. The most abused animal is a dog! How sad, and I thought that a “dog is a mans best friend.” Well I guess that's not true for the people that abuse them.

This is what Maine said. “Maine, Code Ann. Title 17 –1031Yes (defined in statute)
Cruelty: Fine of $500 to $2,500, imprisonment up to 1 year. Aggravated Cruelty: Fine of $1000 to $10,000, imprisonment up to 5 years.” But some of the people that do abuse them don't even get that long of a time!

All of the U.S states have laws against animal abuse! It's a good thing because people that abuse animals can't get away with it. In the U.S.A. 47 states have it as a form of felonies. I think that people that abuse animals are trying to get attention or they are having a hard time in their life. The people that abuse animal should got to therapy because they have no reason to take it out on animals or people.

If you have a pet then you would not guess about how long animal abuse has been going on. Just to let you know its been going on for a long time. Animal abuse has been going on since the first century.

Here are some cases: “Five small dogs were killed by their owner with a hammer in New Brunswick. Now do you really think that a person that kills an dog with a hammer should get a $500-$2,500 bail? A family cat was microwaved to death in Alberta.1,200 animals were seized from a cock fighting ring in BC – this was the largest cock fighting bust ever in Canada. Why would a person do that to animals! They all get hurt and they don't have any reason to do that. A 10 week old puppy was thrown from the 10th floor of an Ontario apartment building by its owner and died. The puppy died form being thrown out the window, on the 10th floor! I don't think that's a long enough time for the person to get 5-10 years in jail. A woman in Ontario killed her dog by stabbing it. The dog died because of that and the person probably didn't get a long time for that. Those cases are sad and wrong no animal should have to deal with that! They shouldn't have to lose their lives. I wonder why some people would do things like that to innocent animals.

So now you know more things about animal abuse. Also you know some sad stories about abused animals. I hope you will try to look out for abused animals more.