Put Away Your Faitheism... Here Comes Atheism! | Teen Ink

Put Away Your Faitheism... Here Comes Atheism!

By starrymusic BRONZE, STL, Missouri
starrymusic BRONZE, STL, Missouri

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

"Life is what happens while we're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Why. Are people. So. STUPID??

There is no God. There are only imaginations. God is something people have created in order to make themselves feel safer. Someone to blame everything on. Someone to praise for things that WE HAVE DONE.

Did you know there is actually a UFO religion that worships extraterrestrials as Gods? Does that sound crazy to you? Hmmm, interesting that you would scorn THAT religion... but believe in an invisible man who created everything out of nothing in less than a week.

Strange, how we accept what we have been taught, but mock any other beliefs.

Well, I scorn you all. And I pity you. I don't need a God or Gods to blame stuff on -- I can accept responsibility for my own actions.

Likewise, I don't want to praise someone or something else for things that HUMANKIND has done, or that NATURE has done.

ALSO. I'm okay with not understanding some things. If I don't understand something, I don't feel the need to say, "Oh, I guess God did that, and it's all part of his (her) bigger plan." Because if there is a "bigger plan"... let's see it. We've been waiting long enough.

I don’t see a snow-capped mountain and think, “Wow, God has created a beautiful planet.”
Instead, I think, “Wow, Mother Nature is awe-inspiring.”
I don’t watch the sun rise and think, “Whoa, God has created so many miracles.”
Instead, I think, “Whoa, I can’t believe that a ball of gas and fire could look so pretty.”

But it does. I don’t need to know why.

In one of my favorite books of all time, A Wrinkle in Time, Meg Murry asks her mother if everything has an explanation. Mrs. Murry replies, "Yes. I believe they do. But I think that with our human limitations we're not always able to understand the explanations. But you see, Meg, just because we don't understand doesn't mean that the explanation doesn't exist."
And so it is with religion. Just because I don’t have the answers doesn’t mean they aren’t out there in the scientific, factual world. No need to assume it’s the work of a God.

Come ON, people. Stop being blind to fact.

There is no higher being.

There is only us.

And in this case, just us is okay by me.

As Bruce Springsteen once said, "Blind faith... in anything will get you killed."

And last, a quote from Pearl S. Buck:
“I feel no need for any faith other than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of Earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels. If there is no other life, then this one has been enough to make it worth being born, myself a human being.”

ServantofGod said...
I disagree with you completely. "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." (Psalm 14:1) I'm with Amethyst13, you shouldn't insult people. I pray that Go.d will work in your heart and that He would change you from your darkned state of mind. May Go.d have mercy on your soul.

FlyingAlight SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
I can't tell if you're talking to me or talking to him. If you are talking to me, I implore you to re-read what I posted and you will notice I didn't actually call him stupid.

steve herrmann, Snohomish Washington, Washington
oh man oh man. firstly you yell out he is stupid, on an article of his beileifs, then complain that he is being a jerk and not showing respect. secondly morals forced onto people at an early age is basically brainwashing. I would rather people were kind to others out of the charity of their minds rather than the fact that they think they will burn infinitely.

Amethyst13 SILVER, New Albany, Ohio

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

I think you are a good writer. However, I believe that in order to be a great writer you need to be able to express your opinion without insulting people. You shouldn't call me stupid for believing in a higher power, just as I shouldn't call you stupid for not believing in one. Just a suggestion.

God Bless.

julia_elg said...
on Feb. 14 2010 at 1:29 am
julia_elg, Valley Village, California

"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

Oh, and I forgot to mention that there is no such thing as an "evolutionist." Evolution is a scientific concept (it is both a theory and a fact...suffice it to say we know it exists). Calling someone an evolutionist is like calling someone a gravitationalist.

julia_elg said...
on Feb. 14 2010 at 1:19 am
julia_elg, Valley Village, California

I agree with Pearl S. Buck completely - that's something I often say to people who accuse me of having "no faith." I *do* have faith - just not in a higher being. My faith is in the basic goodness of humanity. And let me tell you, that is a belief that requires a lot of faith sometimes.

That said, I don't believe religious people are stupid. Some of them are, but so are some atheists - your intelligence has nothing to do with your beliefs. However, if you have never evaluated your beliefs, you are allowing youself to be ignorant. Whether you are religious, an atheist, or somewhere in between, the important thing is that we continue to think and talk about religion and what it means.

OsGuy said...
I clompletely agree with you. I think that people belive in god just because they need to be afraid to a final judge to be a good person but what matter if we are good people if we still unhappy. Great article

FlyingAlight SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
Why. Are you. So. STUPID??

Really, I agree with what you are trying to say here but do you have ANY respect for the view of others? Obviously not. Not all believers use God to push all of their blames, accomplishments, and faults onto another being. Some people go through truly traumatic times and they believe that God is there for them and he pulls them through the dark times. God is the only one keeping them alive.

Basically I agree with some points you are trying to make but I completely loathe your disrespect for other people’s opinions. No matter what you think religion IS needed. Religion instills morals and basic principles into children from a young age. You might not believe in religion but you are most certainly shaped by it. Just show some respect then you wouldn’t sound like a pompous idiot.

(I’m not intentionally commenting on this to be mean but if it comes off like that. Sorry.)

jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

Good article, but I want to challenge you to something. Before you go and get mad at everyone who has a God you should read "Case for the Creator" It gives you the facts for the universe by a former atheist himself. try it

Oh and I have a question how could that sunset on your picture appear randomly by chance. And if you aren't an evolutionist I want to see you MAKE a sunset as beautiful as that in the sky.

Let me know how it goes

NaCheezIt SILVER, Missouri City, Texas
I don't completely agree with everything you said, but it was a great article!