Put Away Your Faitheism... Here Comes Atheism! | Teen Ink

Put Away Your Faitheism... Here Comes Atheism!

February 6, 2010
By starrymusic BRONZE, STL, Missouri
starrymusic BRONZE, STL, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

"Life is what happens while we're busy making other plans." - John Lennon


Why. Are people. So. STUPID??

There is no God. There are only imaginations. God is something people have created in order to make themselves feel safer. Someone to blame everything on. Someone to praise for things that WE HAVE DONE.

Did you know there is actually a UFO religion that worships extraterrestrials as Gods? Does that sound crazy to you? Hmmm, interesting that you would scorn THAT religion... but believe in an invisible man who created everything out of nothing in less than a week.

Strange, how we accept what we have been taught, but mock any other beliefs.

Well, I scorn you all. And I pity you. I don't need a God or Gods to blame stuff on -- I can accept responsibility for my own actions.

Likewise, I don't want to praise someone or something else for things that HUMANKIND has done, or that NATURE has done.

ALSO. I'm okay with not understanding some things. If I don't understand something, I don't feel the need to say, "Oh, I guess God did that, and it's all part of his (her) bigger plan." Because if there is a "bigger plan"... let's see it. We've been waiting long enough.

I don’t see a snow-capped mountain and think, “Wow, God has created a beautiful planet.”
Instead, I think, “Wow, Mother Nature is awe-inspiring.”
I don’t watch the sun rise and think, “Whoa, God has created so many miracles.”
Instead, I think, “Whoa, I can’t believe that a ball of gas and fire could look so pretty.”

But it does. I don’t need to know why.

In one of my favorite books of all time, A Wrinkle in Time, Meg Murry asks her mother if everything has an explanation. Mrs. Murry replies, "Yes. I believe they do. But I think that with our human limitations we're not always able to understand the explanations. But you see, Meg, just because we don't understand doesn't mean that the explanation doesn't exist."
And so it is with religion. Just because I don’t have the answers doesn’t mean they aren’t out there in the scientific, factual world. No need to assume it’s the work of a God.

Come ON, people. Stop being blind to fact.

There is no higher being.

There is only us.

And in this case, just us is okay by me.

As Bruce Springsteen once said, "Blind faith... in anything will get you killed."

And last, a quote from Pearl S. Buck:
“I feel no need for any faith other than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of Earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels. If there is no other life, then this one has been enough to make it worth being born, myself a human being.”