The STANDUP ACT | Teen Ink

The STANDUP ACT

January 22, 2010
By Anonymous

I do not agree to changing the law so that the license age is eighteen. This will have a negative affect o n the average teenager. Most high school students get their license I n their junior year. These students will drive to school and drive home. Teens need their cars to get to all of their activities. Sometimes the students need to stay after in order to go to meetings for clubs and for sport practices. Some schools only have one bus and if a student cannot make the bus or the bus does not go pas their house then they are stranded at school until one of their parents is done working. With the driving age at sixteen the student can drive home without any problems. If a student cannot drive or get a ride then they wouldn’t be able to go to any actives and would therefore not go to college.


The author's comments:
Safe Teen And Novice Driver Uniform Protection {STAND UP}Act (H.R. 1895) requires states to enforce minimum Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) standards in order to qualify for full federal transportation funding. these minimum rules for drivers under the age of 21 who are seeking a liscense are: 3-stage licensing process; prohibition on nighttime driving; ban on the use of cell phones; age for issuance of learner's permit is 16 and unrestricted license at 18.