Technology is Necessary! | Teen Ink

Technology is Necessary!

January 13, 2010
By Anonymous

Can you survive a day without technology around you? Well, most people can’t. Technology has become a common entity in everyday life. It is everywhere. People may say they can live without technology, but I’m not sure they realize how much technology is here. They might say that they can do it now, but once they go a couple of days without their normal everyday items, they may notice it is a lot harder than it seems. I know I can’t go very long without a computer, or a T.V., or especially a cell phone. These items are ways of communication across the world or just across the street. Technology is a very powerful resource and can accomplish many things. Technology provides many ways for the world to communicate and interact with others.

The Internet gives you instant access to anyone or anything across the world. If you want to know something at any moment you can get on the computer and find out right then and there. The Internet can accomplish many things for you as a person. It gives you the chances to communicate, but it can also build self-confidence and openness. It gives you a “greater sense of ease and comfort in dealing with others” (Coget and Yutaka 1). I believe that the Internet is an all around good thing. There aren’t too many things that can go wrong with the Internet in my mind.
Facebook and other Social Networking sites on the Internet have made their way in the communication realm of society. They give you the opportunity to reach or talk to someone that you haven’t seen in a long time right away. “With the Internet, information can be transmitted and received with ease at any time of the day to and from any number of friends” (Coget and Yutaka 1). Most people in the world have some sort of instant messaging or social networking account. They are just ways of keeping in touch and having fun with friends. They are essential in my life as a teenager because I am a very social person. My Internet was down on Wednesday and I couldn’t get on Facebook or iChat. It was an extremely boring night, even though I still had my cell phone. One communication device is not enough for me sometimes.
IPods are another way of enjoying technology. Music is something that most humans love. Whether people realize it or not music is all around them. It might just be a background noise to some people, but they might still like it. IPods give you that instant access to enjoying they types of you like. I think I could say most people would agree, “music deepens the experience of walking through the world” (Harris 1). Some people say that the iPod does more to unite people than to divide them. It brings people of similar interests together in a state of joy when they are listening to their favorite music together.
People love to point out the negative things rather than to focus on the good parts. Neil Postman states that technology takes away from people’s chances to learn social values like sharing, playing nice, washing your hands, cleaning up after yourself, and flushing the toilet. The title of his passage is called “Virtual Students, Digital Classroom.” From that I think its safe to say that he is implying that now that Internet and technology has advanced we can take online classes, but we lose the opportunities to learn those important social skills. Raising your hand in class to be called on is one skill that he points out. I guess that can relate to being patient, but I don’t believe that it is as big of a deal as he makes it seem. Besides you have the choice whether or not you want to take an online class or not and that is just another opportunity that technology gives you.
The Internet leads to “misery and loneliness and a decline in overall psychological well-being” states Bob Affonso (1). I’m not exactly sure how that works because the Internet is full of fun things to do and friends and family to talk to. If you are in misery because of playing games and talking to friends on the Internet then I don’t know what to tell you. That just doesn’t seem to make much sense to me. Bob Affonso’s article “Is the Internet Affecting the Social Skills of Our Children?” was published in 1999; therefore. I don’t consider this a valid source for the topic of the Internet. The Internet and technology has advanced an unbelievable amount in the last ten years! You cannot use this article as proof or as a reason to argue that technology is bad because it’s an invalid resource. This is a logical fallacy called Unreliable Testimony.
“Negative Affects on Society” by Krystle Song explains that music is a way for people to get away from the real world so they don’t have to interact with new situations. “Interactions between individuals are slowly diminishing as people turn to their technological devices instead of attempting to make a new acquaintance or simply experience the ‘natural’ sights and sounds around them” (Song 1). This statement is somewhat true, but only for the people who choose to do this. Again most things are a choice, and the choice to exclude yourself from the outside world by putting in your earphones and jamming out to some favorable music is yours to take. This is a hasty generalization because it seems to me that Song is taking this one person and relating him/her to everyone and saying that everyone with and iPod or music playing device does this same thing. That is not true at all and I actually see people listening to music with other people all of the time. It can also be a way to interact with others instead of ruling new people out of your life. Music can also be a conversation piece. You can bring up the topic of music and that right there could take a conversation a long ways. Music is not a bad thing for society, nor is it having negative affects.
Technology provides many ways for the world to communicate and interact with others. The world needs technology to function. If it went for technology there would be a lot of chaos between countries because no one would know what’s going on. Technology is needed for the world to be able to run the way God planned for it. That is why he planned for us to have technology. Social networking and music players are just ways to interact with one another. Music is way of life; it allows you to express who you are and it lets you just be yourself. Social networking gives you the chance to talk to across the world in seconds and just have a great time. You can plan things or discuss things through tings like Facebook. There are way more positives than negatives in the world of technology; therefore, it’s a good thing!