Madison Memorial Recruit Leaves Marquette | Teen Ink

Madison Memorial Recruit Leaves Marquette

By matjar34 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
matjar34 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Jeronne Maymon, the reigning Mr. Basketball in the state of Wisconsin, has left the Marquette basketball team in the midst of his freshman season. The forward was averaging over 4 points and 4 rebounds in just over 16 minutes per game.
This isn’t the first time that coach Buzz Williams has seen a recruit leave. Trevor Mbakwe left the team just before the school year started, and Maurice Acker quit for academic reasons as well before returning. That poses the question that Williams isn’t focusing at all on academics in his recruiting.
Another reason for concern is the lack of depth now on the Golden Eagles roster. Before Maymon’s departure they were on a seven man rotation, so players will have to step in to fill his void. More minutes will primarily be distributed to Joe Fulce and Erik Williams, who have played sparingly this season.
While Maymon wasn’t making a great impact, there was certainly potential from one of Wisconsin’s top recruits. Where he will go next is undecided, but the 6-6 forward still has three and a half years of eligibility left in the NCAA.

I am a fan of Marquette