Advocacy letter | Teen Ink

Advocacy letter

By Linzy Reinders SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Linzy Reinders SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

I have been enjoying Entenmann’s products since second grade, including brownies, chocolate chip and blueberry muffins. The products taste delicious, but the quantity of product in each bag has decreased. While the number of items in the bag went down, and the size of the plastic packaging has not changed. I would like to see the quantity of muffins increase and the size of the bag be appropriate to the number of muffins.

Every morning I open the pantry doors to see what kind of tasty treats I can pack in my lunch. When I see the Little Bites sitting on the shelf, I make sure to grab a bag. At lunch I open the bag of mini muffins. I remember the quantity being five in each package when I was young, but now there are three mini muffins in each plastic package. The bag still looks big enough to fit five muffins inside of it. The 100 calorie packs contain only two muffins in the oversized bag. Two or three muffins do not satisfy my snack cravings. The extra packaging is wasteful and the amount of product inside is too little.

By decreasing the box size for the products, you try to convince consumers Entenmann’s is an eco-friendly company. However, the bags inside the box holding the items are two times the size necessary. By sizing the bags correctly for the amount of items inside, Entenmann’s could be saving non-recyclable plastic. As a company that advertises your concern for the environment, shouldn’t Entenmann’s design more efficient packaging? You could include three plastic packages containing five mini muffins in each box instead of the current five plastic packages that contain three mini muffins. That would spare the environment of the disposal of two plastic bags from each box sold.