Farewell To Springfield | Teen Ink

Farewell To Springfield

By Noah Grossman BRONZE, Watertown, Massachusetts
Noah Grossman BRONZE, Watertown, Massachusetts

When someone is on life support, there is usually a lot of controversy. Surprisingly there is just as much when a television show like The Simpsons is slowly dying from “lack of creativity”. The Simpsons started as a short on The Tracy Ullman show in 1987. Back then, it was praised for it’s realism, intelligence, and wit. Twenty-two years later, things have changed.

I don’t hold it against Matt Groening and The Simpsons writers that their show no longer possesses the charm and wit that it used to be known for. After 20 years, its expected that a writer would run out of ideas. The thing that angers me is that they are dragging the show along even though it obviously lost its sense of humor years ago. I would’ve wanted them to end the show with dignity when it was still funny.

Believe me, I don’t have any problem with change, but most of the changes the Simpson’s crew made were terrible. Homer J. Simpson, the father figure and “Village idiot” of the show, used to do things that family’s could relate to. A show like The Simpsons must have a plot that families can relate to because even if there is no specific joke or gag, the show can still be funny to them for personal reasons. It also makes the actions in the show more memorable. In the older episodes Homer did things like spend the family’s money on something selfish. Now Homer does things not having to do with the family. In one recent episode, he becomes a famous opera singer. I highly doubt that many families can relate to any of The Simpson family’s recent adventures.

Even though there are a large number of fans still watching The Simpsons, there is still a lot of criticism about its declining quality. By the late nineties, critics started calling the show “tired”. “Episodes that once would have ended with Homer and Marge bicycling into the sunset now end with Homer blowing a tranquilizer dart into Marge’s neck. The show is still funny, but it hasn’t been touching in years,” says Chris Suellentrop of Slate, an online culture magazine. I agree with Chris on everything except that the show is still funny. It is important for the show to be touching because people don't always just want something to make them laugh, sometimes they want to feel sympathy for the characters. This brings the people watching the show closer to the characters.

This is a hard decision, especially for a fan, but it’s time to pull the plug on Springfield.