Teen Pregnancy | Teen Ink

Teen Pregnancy

October 14, 2009
By Dommenique BRONZE, Pacolet, South Carolina
Dommenique BRONZE, Pacolet, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everywhere you turn, there seems to be a teen mother or someone expecting to be a mother somewhere near. Everyone is getting pregnant like it’s the new fashion statement. Well it’s not. Every year around 750,000 teenagers will get pregnant. Two out of three of those teenagers who have a baby will not graduate from high school.
Are you one of those little girls who want to be pregnant so bad for the pretty little bumped bellies, the attention, and so you can have your 40 weeks of shine? You think being pregnant is going to get you noticed a little more, or maybe it will give you a few more friends.
You must think by having a man’s baby it’s going keep you together forever. Nine out of ten teenage mothers are raising their child without the child’s father. The sons of young teenage moms are 2.7 times more likely to end up in prison. Yea, I know that special one tells you he loves you and that you’re going to be together for the rest of your life, but that’s a fairy tale. He, young too, and he has a life to live to: Just because you have a baby that’s holding you back don’t mean he does. That’s why 20% of the teen mothers put their child up for adoption, and 1 out of 3 pregnant teens have abortions.

Listen, it’s not what it’s cracked up to be. Those friends aren’t going to be there long late nights, when the baby’s diaper needs changed, or when times get hard. It’s just you and your child now. The belly is gone and so is that attention. So now what are you going to do? You have this child to take care of, clothe, feed, and keep a roof over its head. 80% of young teenage moms end up on welfare. What happened to all those friends you had when you were pregnant. You think they’re going be there through those hard times. I don’t think so.

No matter how much a teenage mother says she is ready to have a child, she never will be. Teenagers are selfish creatures. When you have your child, selfish shouldn’t even be a part of your vocabulary any more. Things will never be about you anymore, just the baby. They come and take over everything around them. Such as my room.
So please just take this into consideration before you make one of the biggest mistakes of your lifetime. Just wait and when the time is right, you will know it. Live life to the fullest and take it one day at a time.


The author's comments:
This piece is for all teenage girls who think they're ready for a child. I pray that you take this into consideration before it's too late.