Unveiling the Shadows of Social Media: A Critique | Teen Ink

Unveiling the Shadows of Social Media: A Critique

By manikkanlavanya BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
manikkanlavanya BRONZE, Mumbai, Other

"Life is this and I like this"---Harvey Specter

Dear Ms.Hashem,
I recently chanced upon your article on the positive effects of social media. And I, for one, do not at all see eye to eye on the things you have said. I acknowledge your views on how being "mindful users" and keeping a "healthy perspective about social media's role in our lives" can be beneficial in "encouraging students to learn" and deepening relationships". However, I am writing to express my opinion that your approach needs to be more balanced and recognize that the extent to which social media has become pervasive in our lives renders us unable to be mindful of it. Your article elaborates on how social media supposedly "connects us with loved ones through video calls and messages" and asserts that we can "empathize with others." But I'm here to tell you that all of these factors can have polar opposite effects. And, in fact, they do!
Social media connects us virtually but disconnects us from reality. According to research, people above the age of 13 spend at least 3 hours a day on social media. As a teenager myself, I've noticed that at social gatherings and events, my friend's eyes are always on their social media accounts. What does that imply? That the worth of those around us has declined. That our growing obsession with the gratification provided by social media has trumped everything to the point where we have lost the ability to live in the present. Consequently, we are unable to communicate effectively with others, so how can our "relationships deepen?"
As you mentioned, many people have "opened up about their struggles on social media" and "received support and empathy." Nonetheless, the controversy, judgements, and trolls that have resulted from this cannot be ignored. When popular artist Selena Gomez shared her lupus journey on Instagram, what did she receive? Support? Empathy? Or was she body shamed, with the insensitive hashtag "Selupus" going viral and nearly everyone commenting on this very personal issue? Social media exposes you to criticism, which is the last thing you need when going through a difficult time. You say, "Negative feedback may also trickle in, but every social media guru must learn to ignore the haters." How can you suggest that humans ignore things that bother them and put up with such impudent behaviour?
You claim that "social media helps people find their own voice" through TTikTok. In reality, the vortex of social media can absorb everyone's voice. Consider Instagram stories— where people post pictures of what they eat at restaurants or do on vacations rather than reminiscing about how incredible these experiences are. What is living in a superficial world if not this? Social media has created an urge to belong, not a sense of belonging. As a result, teenagers alter their clothing and lifestyle on social media in order to "fit in" and lose themselves in the process. And with everyone following the same fashion and doing the same TikTok dances, where is the C of creativity you mentioned it helps build?

Additionally, your viewpoints on how "social media is a powerful marketing tool helping businesses operate" and "social media spreads just about any news like wildfire." Conversely, the growing distrust of online products as a result of online scams completely contradicts your claims. How can "trust" be built in this superficial social media world where scammers flourish? There are no two words about the fact that information on social media is twisted and presented to create sensationalism because this is what generates the most revenue. This is clearly demonstrated by the coronavirus information that spread like "wildfire" on WhatsApp a year ago, resulting in a misinformed population about vaccines.
Furthermore, your evaluation of social media "as a tool for learning and knowledge acquisition." If "the sky's the limit when it comes to learning opportunities" on social media. Why were students who used these modes of education during lockdown so eager to return to physical learning? Doesn't this imply that in-person learning stimulates the brain more? Besides, online education, beyond a certain level, isn't incapable of retaining students with varying wavelengths of understanding.
In summation, your article does exhibit how "the negative effects of social media do not have to be the norm or the standard". But this letter is my earnest attempt to say they most emphatically are! In the twenty-first century, the abhorrent side of social media has become more prevalent than ever, to the point where the repercussions are unavoidable. They will eventually reverse the fortune they brought, resulting in humanity's demise if people such as yourself do not wake up from your delusion of the benefits it has provided and confront the devastation it has caused to society.
I hope you will agree with me.

Yours sincerely,
Lavanya M.

Embark on a journey through the complexities of social media as we delve into its effects on privacy, mental health, and authentic connections. Through my own experiences and insights, I invite you to examine your digital presence and engage in meaningful discourse critically.