Genocide Prevention: Society and You | Teen Ink

Genocide Prevention: Society and You

By Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida
Lucasnelson SILVER, Miami, Florida

Over 32 million people have died due to genocide, which is 32 million too many. “To forget would be not only dangerous but offensive; to forget the dead would be akin to killing them a second time” (Wiesel, 9). Through increased education and awareness, society can play a crucial role in preventing genocides such as the Holocaust, the Rwandan, and the Cambodian genocide by recognizing early warning signs, addressing root causes of conflicts, promoting human rights and education, and supporting international laws and institution.

An important aspect to help prevent genocide is recognizing early warning signs and root causes of conflicts as it is possible to intervene before it escalates into a full-blown genocide. As James Smith stated on his video, "Genocide doesn't just happen overnight, it's a process. And if we're able to identify the warning signs of genocide, then we're able to prevent it from happening." For example, if efforts had been made to address issues such as economic instability, political polarization, systemic discrimination, anti-Semitism, and prevention of the rise of the Nazi regime, maybe the Holocaust would not have happened. Based on the Genocide Project article by Gregory H. Stanton, “Genocide is a process that develops in ten stages that are predictable,” (p. 1) and taking proactive steps to address the stages such as dehumanization and discrimination that were easily witnessed during the beginning years that led to the Holocaust could have saved the lives of many.  Furthermore, as mentioned in the JSTOR article, "Communities have a unique knowledge of the local environment and can often detect early warning signs of impending violence.” This suggests that communities have a unique perspective on the local context that can help identify potential sources of conflict and violence. By mobilizing public opinion and putting pressure on decision-makers to act, civil society can complement the efforts of local communities in identifying and preventing potential sources of conflict and violence. Thus, recognizing early warning signs and root causes of conflicts is crucial in preventing genocide. 

Another important aspect is promoting education and human rights as the knowledge and nuanced understanding of the complex social, political, and economic factors that contribute to violence can be effective prevention strategies to curb violence and promote peace. The Cambogian genocide is a perfect example of how education and human rights can prevent genocide. As stated in the United Nations article, “Education is both a human right in itself and indispensable means to realizing other human rights. As an empowerment right, education is the primary vehicle by which economically and socially marginalized adults and children can lift themselves out of poverty and obtain the means to participate fully in their communities.” An education that promoted tolerance, diversity, understanding, critical thinking, and respect for human rights could have countered the Khmer Rouge's radical ideology and promoted respect for ethnic, collaboration and religious minorities, while upholding human rights could have provided a framework for challenging and opposing the Khmer Rouge's oppressive policies and actions. Thus, "Effective genocide prevention demands collaboration between researchers, policymakers, and communities, as well as a willingness to challenge existing structures of power and privilege" (p. 3). This emphasizes the importance of collaboration between the different groups and how working together to challenge existing power structures and promote equitable societies. In other words, an educated society that fosters and supports human rights can be powerful tools to prevent genocide and to promote peace and security.

Furthermore, "The international community has a responsibility to protect populations from genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing, and crimes against humanity" (UN, para. 5), and international institutions play a crucial role in preventing and responding to genocide, with the United Nations being at the forefront of these efforts. Through various conventions and initiatives, these institutions have the responsibility to ensure that genocidal acts are brought to justice and that victims receive the support and protection they need, and most importantly, the responsibility to foresee, educate, guide, and reinforce the humanitarian and peaceful rules to prevent massacres. In particular, “The UN supports national efforts, including through political, diplomatic, humanitarian, human rights, and institutional activities. Economic and social development and alleviating poverty also make a substantial contribution to preventing conflict,” as the United Nations also mentioned in their article (p. 2). For instance, international supporting institutions and their laws could have helped prevent the Rwandan genocide by establishing effective mechanisms for conflict resolution, promoting rule of law, and upholding human rights. Strong and independent judiciary, law enforcement, and human rights institutions could have investigated and addressed early warning signs of violence and prosecuted those responsible for incitement to genocide. Additionally, promoting inclusive and equitable governance structures that respect the rights and representation of all ethnic groups could have helped prevent the marginalization and exclusion of certain groups, which was a contributing factor to the genocide in Rwanda. It suggests that preventing genocide is a global collective responsibility that requires the involvement of all members of the international community (Preventing Genocide). In the end, preventing genocide is a global responsibility that requires international institutions to play a crucial role in ensuring justice and protection for victims.

In conclusion, the devastating loss of over 32 million lives to genocide such as the Holocaust, the Rwandan, and the Cambodian genocides is a tragic reminder of the consequences of hatred, intolerance, and inaction. By raising awareness and taking proactive steps towards prevention such as recognizing warning signs, addressing root causes, promoting human rights and education, and supporting international institutions, people in the society can work together to create a world where such atrocities no longer occur. By doing so, the communities can ensure that the memory of those who have been lost to genocide is honored, and that future generations are protected from such horrors.

Work Cited

“About the Right to Education and Human Rights.” United Nations, The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, ohchr.org/en/special-procedures/sr-education/about-right-education-and-human-rights#:~:text=As%20an%20empowerment%20right%2C%20education,participate%20fully%20in%20their%20communities.

An Unfulfilled Promise: The Genocide Convention and the Obligation of Prevention - JSTOR. jstor.org/stable/26627191 

“Preventing Genocide.” Outreach Programme on the Rwanda Genocide and the United Nations, Department of Public Information, Mar. 2014, un.org/en/preventgenocide/rwanda/assets/pdf/Backgrounder%20Genocide%202014.pdf. 

Smith, James. “Preventing Genocide.” YouTube, YouTube, 27 Jan. 2016,youtube.com/watch?v=GH8SfzwToBI.

Stanton, Gregory. “Ten Stages of Genocide.” Genocideeducation.org, The Genocide Education Project, genocideeducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ten_stages_of_genocide.pdf.

“United Nations Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect.” United Nations, United Nations, un.org/en/genocideprevention/prevention.shtml.

Wiesel, Elie, et al. Night. Thorndike Press, a Part of Gale, a Cengage Company, 2020.

Lucas Nelson is a high school student who will graduate in 2025 to pursue Structural Engineering. As result of his handwork and commitment, Lucas is currently a member of different nationally recognized honors societies who holds a variety of certifications in worldwide accredited organizations and universities including courses in leadership, cultural diversity, and different areas of engineering. Although he aims for academic excellence, he is also fully invested in making this world a better place by leading projects to support causes such as helping foster children and veterans (The Purple Heart Organization). He speaks four languages and is also an avid athlete in different sports.