Gun Violence Within Gangs: They Are Harming Members of Society | Teen Ink

Gun Violence Within Gangs: They Are Harming Members of Society

May 8, 2019
By Mbrown1020 BRONZE, Danville, California
Mbrown1020 BRONZE, Danville, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

They are harming members of society.

Understading gun violence in the United States is extremly important as a citizen living the U.S. It is an imporant topic with a lot of disscussion right now. It is imporatnt to understand becuase living in the U.S. you need to be aware of the things happening and going on involving guns. Guns are a touchy topic for many people. There are too many people living in the U.S. who have been negativlty affected by guns. It’s imporant to understand and know about the things going on in the U.S. that involve guns. Knowing about all the horrible things in the U.S. happening with guns right now may help you react the proper way if you found yourself in a sitatuion involving a firearm. There is a major difference in gun laws within the federal government and the states. States are to follow the rules set by the federal government but they also can make laws of their own. Many states have created laws about guns that the federal government may not enforce. There have been many laws in the past that states have made so they can ensure their people will be safe. Califonria has created a numerous amount of different laws involving gun control that the federal governemnt has not put into place.

Gun violence within gangs is common. Members of gangs are extremly likely to get their hands on a firearm. Many times gang members may be forced to commit a crime with a gun which sparks violence. Also members of a gang can gain access to guns easily and illegally. Most firearms gang members use are trafficked, meaning they are illegal and not registered. Youth can be greatly affected by gangs becuase they want to feel like they belong somewhere. A child involved with a gang can lead them to having bad criminal behavior at a danerously young age. On June 18, 2018 a rapper who went by the name of XXXTentacion was murdered in Los Angles. His death was gang related and the man who killed him used a .22 caliber firearm. He lost his life at 20 years old becuase of an incident involved with gangs and guns. If he hadn’t been apart of a gang as a teen, his life probbaly would not have eneded as soon.  X dying, negativley affected many young people living in the U.S.. His music influecened many kids and helped them get through the problems they were facing. So many people were touched by his music and his death impacted many many lives. Which is just one example of how gun violence in gangs is so crucial. As engaged citizens, public school students must report on the crucial national issue of gun violence within gangs because they are main buyers of trafficked weapons, youth are drawn into their criminal activities in many ways, and communities are negatively affected by their actions.

There is a difference between California state laws and federal laws involving gun control. Even within the United States there are different laws regarding gun control in each state. California has some of the strictest laws on gun control. There is also federal laws regarding gun control. All states are to follow the federal laws but within each state they can create their own set of laws. People may be angered by the fact people can purchase guns legally in one state and then go off a harm people in another. In the article, Gun Laws: Here’s how California and the federal government differ, Bob Egelko argues that California and the federal government have different laws regarding background checks. The California government requires anyone who buys a gun from a commercial dealer or at a gun show to have a full background check and proof of ID. The federal government only requires background checks when purchasing from licensed dealers. California also requires background checks when purchasing ammunition which is something the federal government does not (Egelko). Which is one example of how California has stricter laws than the federal government. Which can be two-sided in the sense that some may agree with the California laws or with the federal laws. The author then implies that California requires a 10 day waiting period before purchasing more guns and the federal law does not restrict time. California also requires a permit, training courses, a good reason, and you have to be a good, moral person to carry a concealed weapon. The federal government has no restrictions on carrying a gun (Egelko).California requires many things to be able to carry a gun around legally. You need a permit from law enforcement, you must attend training courses, you have to have a good moral character, there needs to be a reason as to why you need to carry a gun on you, and if you live in an urban area, most of the time you will get denied. Since states can create laws of their own, people either agree or disagree with them. Some people may feel as though they are safer living in Califonira becuase of the strict laws. While others may belive that it is restircting thier rights as an American citizen.

Gang members have easy access to illegal firearms which puts citizens in harm's way. A professor at Duke University spoke to inmates in a jail about how they obtain guns. His research found that it is extremely easy for criminals to get their hands on an illegal gun. In the article, Listen: Where do criminals get guns?, Philip J. Cook argues that most gang members are not gettings their guns legally and because of that, most laws put in place do not have much effect on them at all. Sam a former gang member from Chicago spoke to Cook and informed him that getting a gun is as easy as getting a beer (Cook). Inmates in prison have said that if you are a member of a gang it becomes a lot easier to gain access to firearms. These gang members are asking their lead members for guns.  The top gang leaders have connections where they can gain guns in a short amount of time and are giving their members the guns for free. Gang mebers having such easy access to guns can mean that they are more likely or have a better chance of creating violence with their gun. The author further develops his assertion by explaining that if cops focused on tracking down the source of the weapons, it may help with that problem (Cook). The author explains that if law enforcement officers focused on the source of the gun they could go beyond just catching one perp. If police officers start searching for the source of the firearms they could have a better chance of stopping the purchases of illegal weapons. Instead of arresting just the one person who is caught carrying the illegal weapon. Police can dig deeper and try to work to find the people who are causing bigger problems. If cops where to  search till they found the dealer which they have been, it would be harder for a gang member to get in contact with an illgeal firearm to hurt someone. The people supplying the guns are those who are causing the problem of the illegal guns spreading. A major problem with guns is that gang members have easy access to gaining an illegal weapon. Which threatens society by putting firearms in the hands of the wrong people, which can cuase people living in the community to feel unsafe becuase the wrong people have access to guns.

The youth of the country are in danger because of gangs and the violence they bring along with them. Youth involved in gangs is nothing new, it has been happening for years and years. More and more kids every year are trapped into gangs and create a poor life for themselves.  In the article, TEEN GANGS: A Violent Trap, Sean McCollum argues that teens are gettingg trapped in and caught by gangs. A reason a child may become part of a gang is because  they may not have a supportive family and want to feel like they matter and have a sense of worth. There are many more reasons including that they want to feel respected, they are curios, want to gain money, and protect themselves (McCollum). Kids join gangs for many different reasons. Some of the time they do not have a supportive family and reach towards a gang to find a sense of belonging. The kids may feel protected and secure when they are a part of a gang but in reality they are putting themselves in a dangerous position.  Joining a gang can allow them to be around violence and start to commit crimes and participate in violent activities. They also have a higher chance of becoming involved with a gun or maybe be forced to used one. Most of the time members of a gang are going to be forced to do something that they are against doing, but will be forced to do it because they are a part of a gang. The author then implies that some children do not have the guidance they need to make proper decisions. The author then implies that some children do not have the guidance they need to make proper decisions. Many children do not have support from their families and as teenages they start having to make decisions for themselves. Without proper guidance these decisions can be negative (McCollum). The children may be making poor decisions and parents are not there to advise them. Sometimes children think of a gang as a family. Children may not be aware of that and can get themselves stuck in a criminal situation. When there is not support at home kids can put themselves into bad situations.  Children leaning on a gang for support is extremly problmeatic. It can set up the wrong life for them and they have a high chance of commint a crime which can set them down to wrong road easliy.

The United States have come up with some laws to help keep the people of the U.S. safe from gun violence. Firearms coming from legal manufactures are normally distributed to licensed dealers. Often times people purchase guns through an underground market making them illegal. The market is extremely unregulated which makes is difficult to track down the ones selling the guns illegally. In the article, Policies to prevent firearm trafficking, Jon S Vernick and Daniel W Webster argue that the United States has ways to restrict gun trafficking. There are some things that can happen that can help prevent the selling of illegal weapons. Around half a million of firearms are stolen in the US. Reporting theft immediately the cops may be able to find the guns easier and can track down the source, who is supplying the guns. Another rule they have is limiting people to buying only one gun a month (Vernick and Webster). Reporting gun thefts immediately, allows the police to be able have a better chance of catching the person supplying faster and easier. Allowing a person to be able to only buy one gun a month would make it a lot harder for more than one gun to be trafficked. Vernick and Webster then go on to talk about more laws and rules limiting gun trafficking. States could pass laws that can help limit the amount of illegal firearms in their states. Only 17 states in the U.S. require state license and only 2 of the states inspect their dealers. Having frequent inspections could help limit the amount of criminal activity going on through licensed dealers (Vernick and Webster). States can set laws to help stop licensed gun dealers from committing criminal activity. If more states were to enforce laws it may help to stop the flow of illegal guns within gangs. Law enforcement has come together with ways to limit gun violence. Which creates a safer envoirnemnt for all the members of their soociety.


Gangs can be beneficial to society. Involvemnt with a gang is essential to growing up. They also create citzens that fallow the law, but the media shows that in a bad way. In the article, Gangs are Good for Society, Caspar Walsh argues that gangs can be beneficial. Members are to follow their rules made by elders which teaches them to be respectful toward people older than them (Walsh). The author explains how he believes gangs can benefit a society. He explains how they teach people to respect elders and follow rules and morals. Gangs also support each other and people know they always have people to reach out to in need. In the article, How Gangs Affect Teens and Children, Leilani Lagunes argues that gangs negatively affect teenagers and children. The author implies that children involved in gangs can negatively affect school life. The author talked about how kids involved with a gang can create an unsafe environment for the other children attending school. They participatet in violent acts, start to do drugs at school and then they start to give up on their education (Lagunes). Children involved with a gang creates a risky environment for kids attending schools with them. Children that are apart of the gang  are more likely to act violently or participate in criminal activities. These gang kids are doing these things at schools which is not just hurting themselves but also the rest of the kids attending the school. Even if a gang may make someone feel they are part of a family it is not worth it. A part of a gang creates danger in your life that is unneeded. There is no reason to feel cool because your a part of a gang, it is the opposite. If people helped to stop children from getting wrapped up in the gang then maybe more lives would be saved.

As a child, attending a public school in The United States, researching about gun violence has taught me both postive and negative things. I found the research I did was extremly important. I am now aware of more topics and issues involving the tricky disscussion of gun violence. I learned why teens and kids someime join gangs and thier reasonings behind it, shocked me. The fact they have little to no support at home and turn to a gang to feel like they belong, is heartbreaking. I have a personal experince involing gun violence within gangs. My family and I when visting San Francisco for the weekend and while we were walking throuhg the city and my little sister thought she had heard fireworks. Turns out that there had been a drive by shooting a couple blocks away from where we were. A young kid had been shot and killed by a group of gang members. The kid who died was not involved with a gang but was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Gang members caused violence that was uncessary and caused a young child to loose his life. No, did not really affect me emotionally but, it was heartbreaking to hear that a boy’s life was lost becuase of gang violence. The research I’ve done has tacught me that law enforcement offcers do work to track down trafficked guns to keep the people of thier town or city safe, which does make me feel safer.

People living in the United States escpially need to be aware and take charge of the problem with gun violence within gangs. Members of gangs are purchasures of many trafficked firearms, young people arestarted to join gangs and paraticpate in thier criminal behavoir, and gangs are taking a toll on neighboor hoods and communites. People must be aware of the issue becuase the envolvment of gangs, violence, and guns affect much more people then they think. States can apply strict laws regarding gun control to keep thier people safe. Communityes that suffer from children in gangs can creat activitves or organizations such as absketball league to keep kids out of trouble.

 

 

 


Works Cited


Cook, Phillip J. “Listen: Where Do Criminals Get Guns?” Futurity, Duke University , 12 Feb. 2018.


Egelko, Bob. “Gun Laws: Here's How California and the Federal Government Differ.”  SFChronicle, San Francisco Chronicle, 2 Mar. 2018.

Lagunes, Leilani. How Gangs Affect Teens and Children . How Gangs Affect Teens and Children.


Vernick, Jon S, and Daniel W Webster. “Policies to Prevent Firearm Trafficking.” Injury

Prevention : Journal of the International Society for Child and Adolescent Injury Prevention, BMJ Group, Apr. 2007.


Walsh, Caspar. “Gangs Are Good for Society.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 10 Nov. 2011.

Wendel, Peter. "Counselors' Role in Youth Gang Prevention and Intervention." Counseling Today

(Vol.39, No.12), Jun. 1997, pp. 1+. SIRS Issues Researcher, sks.sirs


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to make people aware of the issues involving gun violence with gangs. I focuse in the problem of gun trafficking, youth involvement, and the impact they have on a community.