Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

Master Sergeant Howie, Naval Science teacher at the Delaware Military Academy is 6’ 7” tall but, he does not make you feel intimidated.  Master Sergeant Howie is funny, he knows how to talk to students, and he makes learning fun.  He should win Educator of the Year for many reasons.   

Master Sergeant Howie is funny in so many ways.  For example, he will talk like a girl when he is imitating the things girls say.  He’s really funny when he makes certain faces: then, he looks at someone and says we are going to talk about hygiene.  We know it’s all in fun, and it makes it easier for us to learn.

Master Sergeant Howie knows how to talk to his students in different ways.  What makes him good at that is how he interacts with his students in so many ways.  He gets his students to go up in front of the class and act out what we are doing in class.  He shows us movies and YouTube videos that are relevant to the topics in class.  Also, he goes around the class and interacts with us and lets us know that we can come talk to him about anything. 

Master Sergeant Howie makes learning fun.  What makes him fun is how he does lots of different stuff instead of sitting down and talking our heads off.  He plays sports videos and then we have a conversation about it with the whole class.  For example, we watched a football vs basketball highlights and he asked the class which one is more hyped, and the class had a debate.

Master Sergeant Howie is my favorite teacher; he has helped to make my first year in high school be the best.   I hope that every cadet that comes to the Delaware Military Academy get the same experience that I have.  I nominate him for the Educator of the Year.