Depression Among Teens | Teen Ink

Depression Among Teens

By cpauley BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
cpauley BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

Depression, the most common cause of suicide, is a huge problem among the teenage population. Depression is a mental health problem that leaves people with a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of their passions. Every one-hundred minutes, a teen takes his or her own life. Teenage females are more susceptible to develop depression than males. Around 20 percent of teens develop depression before adulthood, but young people who experience trauma or disruptions are more at risk. Only thirty percent of teens with depression are seeking help and treatment for this illness. Suicide, most commonly caused by depression, is the second-leading cause of death from ages fifteen to twenty-four.  Because of this mental illness, I feel there is a need for more awareness to be spread, more treatment, support, and safety to be set up.

Creating a support group would be a great way to help spread awareness of mental health issues, and help teens to relate their issues and stories with one another. The support group could be an after school activity in high schools that could even include for sixth and seventh graders. The support group would include a small number of teachers, students who are comfortable in joining, and the counselors that work at Mount Carmel. For about two hours, the members of the group would have discussions, play certain games, participate in group activities, and even have one-on-one time with members of the group. Overall, the group will be in a comfortable, safe environment for the students, where they can be themselves and feel safe.

The point of this solution is to bring awareness to people about mental health and for those that have issues to be able to feel comfortable with themselves. I believe that it is better to have a support system there for people, speaking from personal experience, especially my own school community. Allowing teens with mental health issues to have an outlet for their problems will extremely benefit them.