The Creation of the Bookshelf | Teen Ink

The Creation of the Bookshelf

June 8, 2018
By velazco BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
velazco BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

About 50 years ago, in Northwestern Japan stood a forest that had many visitors come in, but never return. It is called the Aokigahara Forest, most famously known as the Suicide Forest. This particular forest had caught the eyes of three aspiring carpenters, who planned to make a living off of the trees of a forbidden and world renowned forest such as this one. The fact that this forest is one of the most talked about forests in Japan, any type of furniture that is made from the trees here will definitely sell well. The three ambitious carpenters have heard the rumors of possible paranormal activity but they were anxious to get their hands on wood for furniture. So one rainy afternoon, the men decided that it was time to embark on a journey that not many people survived.  They grabbed their equipment and headed in. When they were deep in the forest, they could hear the moans and groans of people, yet there was no one in sight. Then, as they began chopping wood, they could footsteps approaching closer and closer to them. Suddenly one of the men lets out a muffled scream and disappears into the wooded darkness. The two other carpenters fear for their lives and have luckily collected enough wood to make a small piece of furniture. As they start to find their way out of the forest, they hear lots of footsteps following them with foggy mist appearing chillingly. The carpenters knew that they weren't alone in that forest and decided to run for the sake of their new-found business and their lives. After their return from the forest, they told the story of the odd events that occurred in the forest and the disappearance of their friend, but no one believed them. In honor of their friend, they made a bookshelf for the daughter that he left behind-- who loved to read. As she grew older lost interest in literature and decided to donate the bookshelf to an English teacher  in Room 156. As more English teachers taught and retired over the years, the bookshelf remained in the same place.


The author's comments:

Writing is something that I enjoy and that I should exress myself in more often.