A run I'll never forget | Teen Ink

A run I'll never forget

By Jordanh1205 BRONZE, Indianapolis , Indiana
Jordanh1205 BRONZE, Indianapolis , Indiana

I decide to go out for a walk tonight, I prepare myself and I look out the door and there was someone outside just standing there. When I go outside I get chills, and I feel like I’m in the middle of a huge crowd being watched. I stand under a street light, I hear faintly the sounds of leaves crunching, sticks breaking slowly. While I stand there, the light goes out, I stay there but the sounds grow louder. I start picking up my speed to a light jog, I stop to look around and there’s no one there just me and an old lady pulling her dog on the other side of the street. I stop to grab a little snack at the store but when I look outside I see the same guy but with his hood up and holding something in his hand. It was hard to make out what it was but I stayed at the store and eat my snack till he leaves but he stays put. As I got closer it was shiny and long I didn’t think of anything so I just started running again.
I take a glimpse behind me and my heart stopped and my body froze, I had no function of my body, it felt like I looked Medusa in the eyes. There in the distance stood him and his friends all looking at me. They were far away but I ran for the restaurant that was still open I felt safe. I stay there for an hour, making sure that no one was around me when I left. As I left, I  started walking I had the same feeling as before, I ran fast without looking back going home before anyone could find me. I got home and layed in bed asked myself why, what happened then I hear a noise. A loud *bang* downstairs I stay in bed, feeling like my wife or dog made the noise. I’m still cold and shaking my heart is in my throat with all the moving going around downstairs. When I go downstairs he emerged from the dark, the guy that has been chasing me for the past 4 hours. I confront him and he tells me that he wants to sacrifice me to God so he will forgive him of all his sins.
I take the knife from him, and I wrestle him to the ground.   As we fight, he pulls a gun out. I’m petrified. I froze in place with barrel of the cold, shaking gun to my head I didn’t know what to do. He told me if I didn’t stop he’d sacrifice my whole family to. He put the gun down I kicked him, my wife walks in and grabs the gun and pulls the trigger two times. I feel a sudden pain in my stomach and the other guy falls down. I look down and I see a bullet went straight through my stomach, I’m bleeding out, my wife calls 9-1-1. While I lay there cold, I hold onto life with the smallest strength I have left, I’m rushed to the hospital. The bullet missed every vital organ, I found out later that the suspected murderer was my brother.
We go to his funeral 3 months later, as he lays lifeless I grab his hand and say “God has forgave you for all your sins, you’re in a better place now”. I walk away in pain and tears, hugging my mom and dad. Later that month I head back to the hospital for the final check-up, I was told that everything had healed up, and that I’ll be okay.That is the run I’ll never forget.