Lonebody | Teen Ink

Lonebody

By Abbiey BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
Abbiey BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas

"You are precious to me. You are honored and I love you." Isaiah 43:4

She lays on her twin-sized bed, contemplating all her former mistakes. Caroline stares at the blank wall in the dark. The darkness dances around the wall creating shadows, faces, and figures of what looks like people. As she cradles her pillow, an odd feeling creeps up on her fragile heart. No one is around, yet she can see she is not alone. A man's face appears, with his mouth slightly ajar. Fear washes over her and keeps her body wide awake, while her eyes blink softly, desiring sleep. She can't look away. 'I wonder if Karen or Ryan is awake.' She's tempted to call either of them, to distract her brain. The thought lingers in her mind. The figure begins to simmer, but will it return? The shadows deepen into the absence of light, then fade, but for how long? She decides not to call her friends, but instead to keep her eyes peeled on the beings. The face closes its mouth then is swallowed by the lamp that Caroline reaches to turn on. She no longer is afraid, it was all a figment of her imagination. She props herself up on her bed and leans against the metal frame, body feeling lifeless. She's alone, yet not alone. 

Lonebody: the word for feeling alone, yet not alone. 

Sometimes we as individuals can be surrounded by people and not be alone, but inside our hearts, we are lonely, with no one to call. I wanted to write what the looks like.