The Loss of a Life | Teen Ink

The Loss of a Life

By Olivi@ BRONZE, Hoffman Estates , Illinois
Olivi@ BRONZE, Hoffman Estates , Illinois

Headlines read DEAD IN SHOPPING MALL PARKING LOT. I twiddle my thumbs as I read the rest of the article....they’re about to announce the name. My heart sinks. It was my husband! I knew something was wrong when he didn’t come home last night.

The pounding on my door made my ears ring. I looked through the peep hole. It was the police. Why were they at my house? Did I do something? They started with asking me if I was Miss. Winters. “of course I em" I yelled. I’ve never been fond of authority figures. "Now what do you want from me? I haven’t left the house in ages" I said indignantly. Ignoring my complete lack of respect for them, they answer "have you read the newspaper today?" "No I haven’t why do you ask? All that silly thing does is tell you what’s wrong with the world and all the bad things in it that I’d rather not know," I hollered. Something was wrong with me. I couldn't seem to find my “inside voice," as my mom called it, I’m - usually so respectful. I was always taught to respect authority because they are there to keep me safe.

"I apologize. I don’t know what got into me. Please tell me why your here," I said with a softer tone. "Your husband has been killed in the parking lot of Sunny Grove Mall and..."

"Husband! I don’t have a have a husband. I’m only 13. How can I have a husband"? I screeched. They looked at me like I was nuts. I looked around the room. I didn't recognize it...where was I? I look at the officers and asked, "Can I have some water please?" They both got up and looked a little lost, then walked away.

"We found the kitchen," a voice said, "Here’s your water." Two police officers walk out of the kitchen.

"Oh goodness me. Did I leave the door open again? I’m so sorry. I must have forgotten to close it when I got home from the mall, but everything’s OK, I promise." I tried to show them out, they looked confused.

"Miss. Winters?" One of them said, "How old are you?" "35," I responded, "why?”

They asked, "And are you married?"

"Yes?" I replied.

"Do you remember letting us in Miss. Winters?"

One officer questioned. I said "I thought you came in through the open door to see if I was OK..." there was a pause "why are you really here then?" I asked vary confused.

"We’re here to tell you about your husband’s death." One of the officers said in a low voice.

I burst into tears.

I couldn't believe he was gone 16 years of marriage was gone. My heart was shattered, my limbs were numb, there was a hole in my stomach and the world had faded.

I didn't open my eyes. The bed I was in was harder then mine. The pillow not as fluffy. The voices were plentiful but I didn't recognize them. I wasn't at home! My eyes jolt open. The ceiling was a nice white, not mine. The IV bag was in my arm, but it definitely was not mine. The heart rate monitor was beeping faster then it should but beeping, so that was good. That one was mine. Why was I in the hospital? I was perfectly healthy, nothing hurt. There weren't any casts. I was 13. I couldn't have any major problems yet.

My mother was in the hospital. I wonder if I'm in the same hospital or if I could see her...or if I was in her body. No, that was stupid. If I was her, I'd see my body on the bench and I wasn't there, so it was really me. Its times like this that I was happy that no one could read my mind, because I'd surely be put in the loony bin if they could. The nurse came in and before I could say anything the officer that was at my

house who thought i was married came in the room....the nurses voice broke my thoughts. "How old are you?"
"13," I responded.

"Who do you live with"?

"My mom, my dad died when i was 8. I still mis him tho". The officer spoke this
time.

"Do you remember me"? He asked.

"I do, you thought i was married". I respond. The officer stepped back and whispered something I couldn't here to the nurse but I knew he was talking about me. They left the room together without saying anything to me.

I woke up in the hospital probably from the accident at the mall. I don't remember much from after that. The nurse came into the room.

"How old are you"

"35"

"Do you know why your here"?

"I think because of the accident at the mall". The nurse look like she was at a loss

for words then turned and walked out. A cop walked into the room. "When were you at the mall"? He asked.
"Sunday I believe"

"Do you remember what happened to ur husband"?

"No, he didn't come home after the mall and it really worried me. Do you know what happened to him officer"? I questioned snarkaly. He didn't reply but looked at the nurse with a sad worried look. After a moment of pause he sed "Your husband has been hit in the Sunny Grove Mall parking lot" he shot a glance at the nurse and took a deep breath and sed "And we think you did it leaving the mall". There was a long silence my head spun with all are memories are first kiss are first dance are wedding day are first house tears rolled down my face and the world swayed then blackness took over.

I woke up from my nap the nurse and the officer were both right there watching me, i was crying but why there was nothing to cry over but i couldn't stop there was just a well of sadness in me that i couldn't get rid of.

Through wheeps i herd the officer and nurse talking about me the nurse sed something like i had two personalities but that was nuts and the officer was asking her what he could do with me because i couldnt stay out on the streets after killing my husband. My mind was so scrambled and I couldnt think of where to begin to untangle it. How did my life go from sleepover and dresses to being a crazy nut whos a murderer? I rolled over and refused to listen to anymore of the conversation i just cryed myself to sleep.

I was in a moving vehicle when i woke i was also tyed down I panicked a little then realized i was in an ambulance but why? "Where are you taking me"? I asked the person next to me. "Are towns very own insane asylums your grace"the paramedic responded very rudely. My life was over.