Siren Song | Teen Ink

Siren Song

May 9, 2018
By someone-with-a-keyboard BRONZE, Chesapeake, Virginia
someone-with-a-keyboard BRONZE, Chesapeake, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The smell of rain in the air hung like a translucent fabric weaving back and forth under the yellowed light of a forgotten street lamp. A box that might have been called a house fifty years ago now turned into a bar sponsored by truck stop drivers and locals nearby, say on the outskirts of a dying town: traintracks running so close that everytime a locomotive ran by, the building shook wildly. Outside the building, a man stumbled out meekly followed by a woman. Golden yellow eyes studied the man, a hawk sizing up their prey.

The man reeked of alcohol, every hot breath polluting the air. A wife beater stained brown and tan, damp with sweat, streched across a beer belly that peaked just over his belt buckle. Ignorance radiated from him, hsi bright red hat a beacon in teh parking lot. The woman flinched everytime he raised his voice. She eyed the silver band aroung the man's finger, a certain piece that had left its imprint on her skin many times. The woman feared if tonight would be one of those times. The man hawked a wad of tobacco-stained phlegm onto the glass-covered gravel and wiped his mouth. His mud brown eues looking around him, his gaze cathcing her; this was the beginning of the end for him.

She felt her form distorting under his gaze. The wet crack of bones rearranging themselves radiated from her body as her skin stretched, as thin and translucent as latex, over her morphing form. Her lips swelled as her hair tightned into curls. It felt as if  fire ants were crawling in her mouth as her teeth gathered into a straight formation. She lifted her head and met the mans gaze. Curling her lips back and flashing her teeth, this was her favorite part.

She was the most beautiful creature the man had ever seen, the beer bottle falling out of his hands.

"Don?" his wife said flinching at the shatter of glass. The Christman lights that hung from the bar, like a sparkly necklance on a corpse, softly rocked back and forth as a rumble ran through the ground. Don stared out with a distant look in his eye.

"Whats wrong?" panic laced the woman's words "answer me". Her words landed on deaf ears, as Don's world became her.

"What are you looking at? Stop this isn't funny"

She looked at him with eyes like a lighthouse in a stormy sea.

"You're scaring me!"

In that moment he eflt as if his life's perpose laid with her, he fely himself take a hesitant step forward.

"Don where are you going?!"

She looked at him and smiled, the man felt a happiness that sent a thrill though every cell in his body. A whispered command dominated his thoughts.

"Come" and Don obeyed.

"Don stop! Don't you feel the train!"

"I must please her" Don took a step forward.

 The train's horn blared.

"I will not lose her" Another step.

"She is my every-"

Fin.