Trips Down | Teen Ink

Trips Down

By chloeullenberg BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
chloeullenberg BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

A joyous little girl hopped around like a bunny eating swirled lollipops sticking out of the marshmallow ground. The sun shined so bright it could’ve burnt a hole right through someone’s dark soul. While her foot pounced deep in the white sparkling piece of marshmallow, it sprung her up ever so gently into the bright red swinging ropes of licorice. She grasped on the sticky licorice propelling her forward. Clouds of whipped cotton candy touched her frizzy hairs sticking out on top of her head. Everything is so colorful and bright, almost unreal.

My eyes creeped open. I sat on the stained yellow couch from the 80s. It became flat and stripped of its life, just like me. The light from the T.V. flickered onto my face casting a shadow to the side of me. Courage the cowardly dog was my favorite. As a kid I loved watching such a messed up show. My parents didn’t care what I watched because they were just as messed up. I took a sip of the tainted water my mother told me to drink in order to feel better.

A frightened little child dragged herself like a slug through the gooey melted dark chocolate suffocating her organs. The black licorice strands draped down trying to clench her arms and legs to swallow her up. While she trugged out of the not so sweet chocolate, the fat floated through the air in specks so it could slowly kill it’s victim. Another swamp coming up filled with burnt sugar. Large misty dark monsters rise from under trying to find a small snack with a silent tear dropping from a ghostly white face. Everything was so dark and frightening.

My eyes awoke yet again. I sat in my bed shaking, not from the cold though. I felt lightheaded and sick. I looked around at my room as it swirled. Dirty white walls, a broken window, and a hard chair for me to sleep on. Footsteps were heard down the hall. My door, barely on the hinges, creaked open as my mother walked through.

“Hi Jenean,” she spoke as she stumbled across my torn carpet pieces.

“Hi… Mom.” I hesitated.

“Make sure you take your medicine tonight honey.”

“Why though mom, it doesn’t help me.”

“Just do it. Now,” my mom snapped at me.

I stopped speaking. Afraid of her sudden change in voice.

“Honey you need to take that medicine to make you feel better.”

“Ok mom. I’m sorry. Goodnight.”

I forced the drink down my throat, all of a sudden relaxing me. Her beady eyes stared at me as each sip dripped down my throat. Once I finished, the door slammed shut behind her.

Echos bounced off the twirling walls. There were bunches of people huddled together with wheels strapped to their feet. Music beats began to drop from the sky, literally. As each beat splatted to the ground, a note of music played. Instead of raining cats and dogs it was raining music beats. As the music began to become faster and louder, a man skated over with his wheels strapped to his brown sandals with golden hair flowing through the wind. A silky white robe draped behind him ever so delicately.

“Oh my god it’s God,” she whispered to herself.

“My lady, this is a place to have fun. I brought you up here to have fun. Throw some roller skates on and enjoy life for once,” God stated.

“Wait, am I dead?” she replied with.

“Hahahaha, no… You’re just on.. Hm how do I word this.. A trip?

“A trip?” I asked.

“Not like a vacation, more like a hallucination,” he replied.

The jesus figure paused and began to speak once more,

“You need to run away.”

“Run away?” I questioned confused.

“Yeah… hun your mom is a drug addict and you need to get out.”

The phrase “get out” echoed further and further to the back of her mind. The jesus figure started dissolving away piece by piece just like her life did. She wasn’t phased by someone leaving her life once again.

Unfortunately, my eyes creeped open staring at the blank ceiling above me. Flipping uncomfortably in my chair, the clock read 2:53am. I could hear the refrigerator buzzing, and the cold air seeping through the broken windows. Throwing my frail sheets on the ground, I opened my window careful not to slice myself on the broken glass. My hands grasped the backpack full of my necessities already packed. The creaking of my window sounded like nails on a chalkboard. I placed each foot out the window gently careful not to stab a twig through my sock. My ankles hurt as I jumped to the ground. My feet were like a rabbit tripping over their quick steps. No more “medicine” no more different worlds as I sprinted further and further away. My next destination was a safe area with a roof to fall asleep. I found an abandoned shed and slept happily using my reality now as medicine. My eyes closed gently.

She woke up once again, but this time differently. She awoke in a heated cabin with pictures of family and friends. It was her family and friends. Her kids sprinted around the corners giggling as her husband hugged her tightly. She was able to finally live a comfortable life without drugs forced down her throat by her mother. The night she left there wasn’t a peep from her parents. She found herself a foster home till she grew up to support herself, got a job, and created herself a new world with people she loved. She is now 23 years old, and is giving a life much better than she had to her children.