The Escape | Teen Ink

The Escape

April 9, 2018
By Maysaa BRONZE, Salmiya, Other
Maysaa BRONZE, Salmiya, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I couldn't stop my hands from trembling, and I had a hard time standing on my feet without the fear of collapsing. It was eerily quiet, I could practically hear the franctic beating of my heart. The lights had turned off in the small cold room somehow, and I felt my way through the darkness. My body felt hot and cold at the same time and suddenly the whole world seemed to spin around me. My vision started to blur and I could slowly feel the last ounces of energy drain out of me. I supported myself on the cold wall that I could barely make out in the growing darkness, and slid down until I slumped on the hard floor. I winced at the sudden impact and a jolt of pain coursed through my body. The pain intensified when I touched my right leg, so I screamed out in agony. My whole body felt sore and the fabric of my jeans was slashed on the side. Suddenly, I felt the warm, thick blood on my shaking fingers as I touched the exposed skin. It was excruciatingly painful and I couldn't really examine my wound because it was still pitch black. After a short while, I leaned my head back against the wall and closed my eyes. The only sound filling the dreadful silence was my panting. I couldn't get myself to calm down and I was on the verge of hyperventilating. My head was throbbing and heavy with thoughts as I tried to understand what was going on. What happened? How did I injure myself? And most importantly, Where am I? I can't seem to remember anything. It feels like my mind is filled with a thick haze that's clouding my memories.

I opened my eyes quickly and a sense of realization and determination overwhelmed me. I had to find a way out of here. Looking around hectically, I spotted a small window at the corner of the room and slowly, I started dragging myself in that direction. My leg was aching and I could imagine the streak of blood I left behind, smeared across the floor. Moonlight poured from the window and spilled into the room and it was easier to examine my surroundings once directly under the window. The room was empty except for a few loose bricks lining the walls. Checking the window for a handle, I came out empty. It didn't even budge when I tried pushing it open forcefully or punched the window hard. There were just a few cracks in it now, but I was no where near breaking through. I grunted in exasperation. This cannot be it, there had to be a way out! Desperately to get out, I spotted something moving in the corner of my vision and turned my head quickly. It was shadows dancing around the room when a pair of headlights, probably from a car, passed by the window. From my view, I couldn't see any sign of a car, let alone a road.

It was when I took one of the bricks on the floor and took a few steps back to hurl it at the window, it finally gave way. The glass shattered into a million pieces and the piercing sound filled my ears. Suddenly, I heard a commotion from overhead and I acted instantly. Flinging one leg out of the window at a time, I managed to get out without slashing my body with the jagged glass shards that were still sticking out the window frame. The commotion grew louder and I felt the adrenaline rush through my blood. Once outside, I crawled on the ground through a gap in the bushes and then quickly made my way up a set of narrow, weary stairs. 

Before running along the long road that was stretched in front of me now, I turned my head one last time only to see a small crowd gathered in front of an old looking two-storey house in the middle of a big meadow. I must have been stuck in the basement because I couldn't see any of this when I was down there. Flashlights were moving around hastily and I realized that they were probably looking for me. Ducking, I started limping away, wincing at every step I took. I clutched my leg firmly, trying to ease the pain. ''Inhale. Exhale.'' I thought to myself as I started hobbling again. 

I had lost track of time and it felt like I had been walking for an eternity before spotting a payphone on the side of the abandoned road. A wave of relief washed over me and my whole body started shaking. Silver coins were thrown across the ground and I grabbed a few to push them in the slot. Clicking the buttons to dial the first number that came to my head, I waited for the person on the other end to pick up. After the third ring, anxiety started to build up in my stomach and I kept fidgeting with the cable connecting the phone with the machine. Just when I was going to hang up, the person finally picked up and for a second, my heart stopped beating. 

'Hello?', my voice came out a raspy whisper.

'Who's this? Wait - Sophie is this you? Where on earth have you been, honey?', she exclaimed.

Tears stung in my eyes and threatened to burst out at any moment. I couldn't get a single word out and instead, I just let the tears fall and started sobbing uncontrollably.

'Goodness Mom, you don't know how happy I am to hear your voice right now!', I wept.