The Darkness Keeps Chasing Me | Teen Ink

The Darkness Keeps Chasing Me

By Sasse BRONZE, Hendersonville, Tennessee
Sasse BRONZE, Hendersonville, Tennessee

I knew this was going to happen. I could feel it ever since the accident occured. For some reason I just knew that it would all fall apart like this. Everything I've ever known has crumbled into tiny pieces, and I knew it would happen. Why didn't I realise I had this gift then? I could have warned them. I should have warned them.
"Are you ready for your nappy?" said my mother in a calming voice.

I'm two years old--well, two years, two-hundred and sixty-three days old. My mother is tucking me into bed and I listen to every word she sings to me, for I somehow have a feeling something bad is about to happen. I look at her shoulder-length brown hair and her beautiful teal eyes. She's average height, and she has an average build. I don't have the words to tell her, though, so I watch and cry as a dark Shadow comes into my room and carries her away right in front of my eyes.

My father comes into my room and sees me sitting in my crib, crying alone. He's bigger than my mom. He stands at roughly six feet-five inches tall and has a five O'clock shadow. He lifts weights with "the guys" every weekend, so he's very muscular. He has buzzed blonde hair. He comes into my room with his "Ol' Trusty" ready to aim at anything brave enough to move. Then the Shadow takes him too. I can feel my body shake as the It enters back into my body. I feel powerful. I don't like it. Both my parents are gone and so is everything I ever held dear. I'm alone.

Ever since I started school, I have been gifted. I could always remember everything my teacher showed me or taught me. She said I had a “photographic memory.” Everything she always taught us I could remember. I got picked on many times. Kids called me a brainiac and a nerd. I didn’t let it get to me, though, because I knew what was going to happen to them. Every single one of them. I could see their future. Ben, the tall boy with short, red, curly hair that always wore overalls, he would become a trashman. Sara, the girl with long, blonde hair, and brown eyes as dreamy as--no, I must stop. I can’t get sentimental now. Sara would become a janitor. However I knew what I would become.

I saw myself as a king. A God. With a spear in my hand, looking over the world with the red sky and fire throughout the buildings, I screamed a war cry. This was my city. This was my world. I knew that one day I would own it, so I didn’t let anyone get in my way. Not even those bullies.

When I was in fifth grade, I felt a pain in my chest. Asking the teacher to use the restroom, I rushed to the big wooden door and flew right in like I was running from something that was about to kill me. I looked behind me on the way to that door, and saw him. A giant, green figure with a head shaped like an egg. Looking at me with his big red eyes. I ran faster because I knew he was coming to kill me. Later on I found out that it wasn’t just an illusion, it was real. I had escaped death that day and I hadn’t even realised it.

I was sitting in my English, after my teacher had given us an assignment to write a short story. Without even thinking, I just let my pencil go to town on my paper. I just let the words flow from my hand to my pencil to my paper.