The Message | Teen Ink

The Message

February 15, 2018
By Anonymous

I just got home from school and I sit on the couch to relax. I grab my phone out of my pocket and see that I have three unread messages. I go to my voicemail and type my number in as I put my phone backup to my ear. First voice message, “Hey sweetheart it’s mom, I have to work longer than expected so I left you some money on the counter. Go buy yourself something to eat and I’ll see you later. I love you, bye.” Second voice message, “Bob? Oh, wait I typed in the wrong number. Wrong number, sorry bye.” Third voice message, “Emma, I know what happened to your friend. It was definitely not an accident. Call me back to get all the answers.”
“End of new messages” the voicemail tells me. What is this person talking about? My friend had a car accident a few years ago and died from her injuries. What is this person talking about it wasn’t an accident? The cops told us that she must have been speeding and saw something in the road. She swerved off the road and hit a tree. What if this person was true and someone did something to my friend? I need to get to the bottom of this. Shaking from fear, I type in the number and called the person back. A man’s voice answered “Hello? Is this Emma?” I answered scared, “Yes this is. May I ask who you are? 
“That isn’t important right now, all that is important is what happened to your friend.” The man says to me. “Well how will I know to trust what you're saying if I don’t know who you are?” I reply all confident. The man says back, “You're just going to have to find a way. I can’t tell you my name unless you want them to do the same thing to me. What did you hear happened to your friend?” “She was speeding, she saw something in the road and swerved off the road. That resulting in her hitting the tree,". I reply back. There is a pause on the other end, “You shouldn’t believe everything you hear Emma.” *knock knock*
“Was there a knock at your door?” “Yes sir.” “That should be some information you’re looking for”. “Some?” *he hangs up* I walk over to my door terrified. I peep out the peephole to see no one. I proceed to open the door to find a package on my doorstep. I pick it up and turn around to head back inside my house. I opened the package, and it said “Drew”. That was my best friends boyfriend right before she died. I then read the words, “cheater” and “Layla”. Layla was my best friend that got into the accident. Cheater? Who would have been the cheater? I hear a knock on my door once again as I go to answer it I remembered I had ordered some pizza. I opened the door to find Drew holding my pizza.
“W-What are you doing here?” I replied frightened. “I’m the pizza boy, they said they got a call for a delivery here? Did I hear them wrong?” “No, I did order pizza I just-. I didn’t know you would be the one to deliver it, that’s all.” “Oh okay.” He turns around to walk down the stairs. “Drew, wait! Is there something I didn’t know about Layla?” “Like what?” “I don’t know, I’ve just been thinking about her. She never did anything to hurt you right?” “Well we had our ups and downs Emma. That is how relationships work.” “I know that Drew but, you were the only guy she ever mentioned. I thought you would like to know that.”
“Why would I like to know that?” He replied. “Of course I would be the only guy she mentioned she didn’t want to seem like the bad guy.” “How would Layla be considered the bad guy?” “She was cheating on me, there was nothing I could do. That’s what I thought.” “W-What do you mean you thought? “It doesn’t matter now that was years ago.” “It matters to me, Drew.” He pauses for a minute. Then speaks, “I saw her out with him that one day and something inside of me just started to rage. I never thought I could get that mad over anything.  I never thought I could do something like that to anyone, even my worst enemy.”
“Drew?” “She was driving away from meeting the other man and I decided to call her to let her know I knew she was cheating. I decided to follow behind her and I drove up right beside her. I sped up as my car jumped in front of hers as she swerved and ran off that road. I didn’t know she hit the tree until the next morning when I heard she was in the hospital.” “Oh my goodness. Drew you have to tell the police.” “No, I don’t. It’s been years since that day she passed away. They are never going to find out.” “Drew, I have to tell them.” “Then I guess you’re next.” I tried to run away but he caught me. This was my last day on earth. The end.


The author's comments:

"The Message" is about a girl that was checking her messages and one day the third message was different/insane. To find out what happens read til the end. "The Message" is full of mystery and I hope you all like it.