The Intruder | Teen Ink

The Intruder

January 11, 2018
By Livvm BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Livvm BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The cold rain hit the cracked pavement on the patio as the low rumble of thunder sounded high above. Jackson was arriving home from a horrible day at work. The rain soaked the leather seats of his convertible. The roof was malfunctioning and wouldn't go up. As he stepped out of his car, he noticed that his front door was wide open. He moved his car out of the driveway and parked it out of sight from the house. Once he approached his house, he stealthily entered in search of intruders.
As soon as he reached the kitchen, where he stored his pistol and ammunition, he heard loud thumps coming from upstairs. He jumped as the noise sounded. He took his drenched shoes off so he wouldn’t make any noise and brought them into the closet, where he was going to hide. The lightest creak might’ve alerted the intruders. He had no idea how many awaited him. Jackson patiently awaited in his closet with his pistol on safety. He learned his skills from many years of training as a police officer.
He loaded his gun with a few bullets and tried to be as quiet as possible. Jackson’s aim was very accurate, he never seemed to miss a shot. “Never waste a bullet,” his father always told him. This saying haunted him till the day he perfected his shot. He began to hear footsteps moving closer and closer. Thump, thump, thump, down the hardwood steps the intruder went. Jackson took his gun off of safety and peeked out of the small slits in the closet. He couldn't make out the intruder because of the black ski mask covering their face. The intruder entered the kitchen, where Jackson stood a few moments ago.
“Damn. How did the door swing open? He has to get new locks.”
The intruder ran to the door and peeked outside to see if anybody spotted them in Jackson’s house.
“I’m sure people have better things to do at 2:00 in the morning than spy on me,” She chuckled and proceeded to lock the door, once again.
That voice sounded familiar to Jackson and he knew exactly who the intruder was. He began to breathe heavily. Not from fear, but shock. He hasn’t heard that voice in over 15 years. Why was she back now? Why so late?
“Where did he put it?!” her voice roared in an aggressive tone.
He began to hear rummaging through his drawers. The sound began to move closer and closer as her heavy footsteps echoed throughout the corridors.
It was silent for a few moments. The footsteps and the rummaging stopped. Everything froze. The footsteps slowly proceeded toward the closet after a few moments of silence. Thump, thump, thump.
Jacksons mind raced as he thought of what to do. As quiet as he could, he pushed himself against the back of the closet where he wouldn't be seen and stood behind his large winter coat.
She placed her hand gently on the knob of the closet and swung it open. She scanned it with her beaty brown eyes and then slammed it shut.
“Where does he keep this thing? He really doesn't want me to have it. Does he?”
Jackson swallowed hard. He finally realized what she was babbling about.
She’s crazy, He thought to himself.
The encounters he faced with this object were never to be spoken of again. It ruined his childhood home. He became scarred for life. Jackson’s stomach twisted into a knot at the thought of it.
Oh no, he thought to himself. I can’t let her have it. I took it away for a reason.
He began to hear footsteps and rummaging once again.
“Found it!!” She yelled with excitement,” forgetting she was in someone else's home.
“What am I hiding for?” he said to himself. I can’t let her get away with this.”
He stealthily emerged from the closet, being cautious of his surroundings.
“I can’t wait to use this. I might just give it a spin now, while he’s not home,” she chuckled.
Jackson paused for a moment and thought of a plan. He quietly walked through the rooms of his house that contained rugs so she would not hear him. He heard the crinkle of the box as she began to take it out. He was running out of time. Jackson slowly approached the living room where the intruder was.
“Put it down,” he said as he pointed the loaded gun at her temple.
“Jackkkk, never thought you would show, she said with a slight grin. I missed you. It’s been a while. Did you miss me?”
“Oh shut up. Stop with the nonsense. I’m not letting you have it. That thing ruined my life. I don’t know about you but I want it out of my life. Now.”
“Oh silly Jack. You always were a silly guy. Then why would you hold on to it for this long?”
“To hide it from you. You ruined my life. You’re crazy.”
“Oh come on Jack. We used to be so close.”
“Get out of my house. And leave it. I’ll take care of it. I’ll make sure I never see it
or you again.”
She got up and slowly started to walk toward him.
“Get away from me. You’re crazy,” he expressed. “I’ll shoot. You’re dead to me.”
She suspiciously looked at him and pulled out a knife.
“Put it down.”
BOOM.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this piece are the many mystery and thriller movies that I've watched. I'd hope that people have many questions about the ambiguous details in my story and can think of multiple different scenarios that could be occurring in the story.