What Happened to May? | Teen Ink

What Happened to May?

By savannaalbritton BRONZE, Athens, Texas
savannaalbritton BRONZE, Athens, Texas

It started in 9th grade, I was in my bedroom and an old Nike shoe box fell off the shelf,  it was old, and covered in dust bunnies.  I jumped, being 14 years old, I was jumpy.  I walked over picked up the dirty box and lifted the lid to see what it contained. It was pictures of May, she was my best friend. Her mother blames it all on me. She says that since I was with her that night, I should've kept a closer eye on her.

Here’s what happened: we were at school two days before she was kidnapped. We heard Shelby and her minions talking about some party.  The party was at Shelby’s boyfriend’s house, His name is Brady and he’s  every girls crush within in like a 30 mile radius, especially May’s. She's had a crush on him for five years but can't work up the courage to tell him, which leads to some pretty awkward conversations since she tutors him in math.  That’s  how we got asked to the party.

The party was on a Saturday, and it was from 8 P.M.-12 A.M. When May and I woke friday morning we both got dressed in a hurry for school. We were so excited for the day because there was a pep rally, and May and I are not those girls who cheer and scream for their team… we like to sit in the library and read for the last half of the day. May and I found our seats in the library, which wasn't hard because we were the only two in there.

The cheerleaders walk in surprisingly. ‘What are y’all doing in here?” May asked slightly intimidated by Shelby's luscious hair, and extremely big bow. “Uhh stretching, are you stupid? Shelby snarled at May. All the girls laughed, while May turned around quietly and remained calm. Shelby walked up behind May and whispered in her ear ‘If you come to Brady’s party i'll make sure you don't leave in one piece, or better yet don’t leave at all.” Shelby and the rest of the cheerleaders walked away as if nothing ever happened. I told May that there was no way we were going to that party. She said “ Oh, we’re going…”, I was kind of frightened by May’s change of personality, but I was also kind of intrigued.

It was Saturday, the party was tonight. Me and May met up at my house to get ready. We did our make-up, our hair, and then we both got dressed. May was wearing a beautiful maroon dress, I was wearing a sparkly turquoise dress. We both looked really nice, and felt confident in our own  bodies.

We showed up at the party with gifts in hand, knocked on the door, and guess who happened to open the door… Shelby.  The look in Shelby’s eyes when she opened the door… well let’s just say if looks could kill then may would be dead before she stepped in Brady’s house. Surprisingly Shelby let us in . we go in, put our gifts down and start socializing. May told me she needed to use the restroom, and of course I was okay with it, I mean we go to school with these people, we’re not strangers.

Everything is fine until we hear a scream. It was coming from upstairs. Brady and his mom ran up the stairs. I went into full panic mode because May was up there. I rushed up the stairs to find Brady and his mom comforting Shelby, she was in the corner shaking. She looked up at me and said “ he took her, i'm sorry… I tried to help her”. I started hyperventilating, I asked her who she was talking about and she said “May”. My heart started beating fast, the room started spinning, then everything went black.

Next thing you know i'm staring at the ceiling of a hospital. I sat up confused and saw my mom sleeping in a chair right next to my bed. I woke her up frantically, and when she saw me awake she gave me a big hug. I asked her what had happened and she started crying. It took me a few minutes to calm her down, and once she did she told me everything. She said that at the party when May had went to the bathroom, Shelby saw someone snatch her out the window,  that Brady's mom had called the police, and by the time they got there I was on the floor passed out. Which fills in some blanks for me. The news was really hard for me to hear.

There was an ongoing Investigation for like 6 months, then it seemed like the Cops just gave up. For awhile, I would search for her by myself, but I too gave up because I had no luck.  I've tried retracing my steps, but i'm still not closer to finding May.

Today was a new day, I was going to try to go to school today. As soon as I walked in people starred, acting like i was the victim when May held that  title. I would try to talk to my other friends but they just looked at me like I was a broken toy.

I decided to talk to Shelby, find out what she knew or saw.  When I asked her, she got weird. I knew something was off. She pulled me into the bathroom, told me that no matter what I couldn’t tell anyone. Frightful I asked her what she knew. She told me that she was tired of the constant drama between her and may. She said she just wanted to scar her that she didn’t mean for this to happen. Then the bell rang…