The Drive Home | Teen Ink

The Drive Home

By Jerome1964 BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
Jerome1964 BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire

Bob was coming home from a terrible day at  Farmington High School. It was raining and a little foggy.  Bob had a couple of friends in the car, Jim and Nick. They were driving down the smooth black asphalt road. They wear leaving McDonalds and they left they trash all of the backseat. You could smell the french fries and the burgers from even outside of the car.  Bob and his friends were all 18 and seniors. Bob was the only one who had his licence because Nick failed his driver's test because he was extremely drunk and Jim never was able to take his because he never had the money to. They were going down the main road when Nick said “go faster you drive slower than my grandma”. Bob replied saying “no we're going 35 already that’s fast enough”. Jim was a jokester so he said “What are you a p***y, go 45 no balls”. Bob not backing down from a challenge said “ Oh yea watch me”.

Bob pushed down on the gas pedal now going 50 on a 25. They were about to take a left turn when out of the corner of Bob’s eye he saw a little girl wearing a bright yellow jacket with matching boots. Bob panicked and slammed on the brakes but it was too late. He hit her. He killed her.

“I didn’t even see her, it all just happened so fast”, Bob said. All the boys were terrified, they just hit a little girl. They all got out of the car slowly. They walked out towards the little girl. She was just laying there flat on the ground emotionless. Blood gushing from her head making a big puddle next to her. She had her teddy bear clutched in her hand, blood all over her fingers, the poor bear soaked in blood. 

“She’s dead you killer this is all your fault”, Nick said. Then Jim screamed and fell on the ground. He started yelling and crying but Nick and Bob didn't understand what he was saying, then he said, “I know who that was”. None of the boys had really looked at her face until now. Jim screamed “That was my little sister Susan, you killed her”. Bob started to cry “ No , i'm so sorry, I didn’t mean to kill her, it was an accident, I didn’t see her”. Jim was now quiet. Bob start backing up. Jim stared right at Bob and whispered, “this is for you Susan”.

This is a very good story.