Nightmare | Teen Ink

Nightmare

By Srivastava SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey
Srivastava SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey

It was like any other day afterschool, and I was doing the one thing I covet the most—walking through the woods. Now some people think I am foolish for walking through the woods with no intent, but I find the woods to be the best place in the whole world. I love everything about the woods—the perpetual droning of bees buzzing around my head, the rustling of trees in the wind, and the sweet scent in the air, derived from pinecones. The sun had started to set, and the sky was a myriad of colors: blue, pink, and red, all woven together to make a stunning gradient sky. It was almost 8:30, my curfew, and I had already walked through the part of the woods that I am allowed to walk through. Mother says that once I reach the big boulder in the middle of the woods, I must come back. Just as I was about to turn, something caught my eye. Ahead of me was a profusion of red- stained bricks, all leading in one direction. My curiosity precludes me from going back home. I walk down the seemingly endless trail of bricks, and find myself in a cloistered area, circumscribed in trees. I think my claustrophobia is starting to kick in. All of a sudden, I hear a low, growling noise. The sound is horrifying deafening. The roar causes the ground beneath me to rumble. Then, a horrendous beast emerges from the trees, and it is all I can bear for me to not lose my fortitude. Its external features consist of long, pointy fangs, human sized paws, and a back of jagged quills. As one who is normally zealous about the woods and its cryptic creatures, this beast from nature became an unexpected nightmare.
I wake with a start. It takes a moment for the rapid beating of my heart to slow, and still I am shaken from the events that just transpired. A stinging on my arm pulls my attention there, to see the jagged marks of something sharp. And when I see I am still on my bed, I start to wonder if my life is a constant bubble only a moment away from a pop! I know it is wrong, but still the voice in my head says “It was only a nightmare…”