A snowy day | Teen Ink

A snowy day

By _wall.flower_ BRONZE, Lapine, Alabama
_wall.flower_ BRONZE, Lapine, Alabama

Let go and let God

I was driving home for Thanksgiving from college. I had a rough week the week before and was running off 10 hours of sleep. As I got off on my exit, my eyes began to feel a little heavy to so I pulled into a gas station. I parked beside the store and grabbed my wallet and began to count my change. *BAM BAM BAM* This woman starts banging on my window. “Can I help you?” “Can you give me a ride to my friend’s house?” I pondered on the thought for a minute and then decided no. “I’m sorry, I can’t.” She just kind of stared at me for a moment and then walked away. I got myself together and calmed down before walking into the store. I got a cup of coffee and some energy drinks to keep my awake until I got there. “Only one more hour, I can do this.” “Your total is $7.63.” “Thank you, have a good night.” As I walked to my car i couldn’t stop thinking about the woman. I get in my car and leave.
I’m driving down the road about thirty minutes later when suddenly the woman from the gas station runs out in front of me. I mashed the brakes, but didn’t stop in time. She hit my hood and rolled over my car. “Holy s***!” I got out my car to check on her, but she was gone. Did I dream it? No, there’s no way I could have dreamed that… but where’d she go? I checked the ditches and under my car, but couldn’t find anything. No blood on the road, my windshield wasn’t cracked, my car wasn’t hurt in any way. I got back in my car and just sat there and breathed. I just shook it off as a dream, but something inside me told me it wasn’t. I got home that night and everyone is asleep so I just get my shower and go to bed. The next morning… I wake up to the sounds of laughter and the smell of coffee. I went down stairs and there was my brother. “Hey, Anthony, how’s college going?” “It’s going great.” He was the most annoying and arrogant person I have ever met.
“So Matthew, how’s the good life?” “It’s good. Been trave-” “Yeah, nobody cares.” As I’m eating my breakfast and rolling my eyes, I hear someone else coming down the stairs. “Oh hey Natalie.” I turned around and saw the woman from the gas station, the woman I hit…. I just sat in silence staring at her. “Matthew, would you introduce her to Anthony?” “Anthony, this is Natalie, my girlfriend.” She just smiled and sat down and began to eat. I couldn’t stop myself from staring as she ate. I wanted to ask her about the gas station and running out in front of me, but Matthew never left her side. I was in the kitchen cleaning the dishes when I feel a hand on my shoulder. “Do you need any help?” “No, I’m almost done.” I turned around and she was right in my face. “Hey Natalie, were at the gas station off exit 50 last night?” Her smile dropped and her face changed. Without saying a word, she just walked away and went back into the kitchen.
So I googled mysterious accidents and things such as that. After ten minutes of searching I came across a news article, “Man claims to have hit a woman who disappeared after I hit her”. I scrolled down to see a picture, but there wasn’t any. I kept searching until I could find something and finally it happened. An article from the early 1900’s told a story about a wife who walked into her bedroom and saw a woman sucking the breath out of her husband. I scrolled down and up popped a picture of Natalie, if that’s even her name. I printed it out and was going to show Matthew when I heard my dear opening. I turned around and met Natalie’s eyes. “I wish you would have just minded your own business.” The next day… “Man found dead, clenching newspaper of mysterious breath sucking demon”