Haunted by Victims | Teen Ink

Haunted by Victims

November 28, 2017
By ashlly111 BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
ashlly111 BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
when life hands you lemons make lemonade


The thunder seemed to strike right near the house as if the house was its destination.  I shuddered, the notation that I was going to be spending a day here finally settled and I felt myself freeze even with knowing that it would soon start pouring. Looking up at the house I couldn’t help but think of how much I would enjoy living here, it was a big house with cheap rent, everything that I’d been looking for. Even with the thought of it being haunted, there was almost this pull, a need to live here. I’d been fascinated with it since the moment my eyes had landed on it. I wasn’t going to let a few ghosts stop me now, so pulling on my backpack I strapped it on tight and finally unfroze the wind seeming to get angrier the closer my feet took me to the concrete stairs. The house loomed over me blocking the light of the moon and throwing me into darkness, darker it got with each stair left behind. I was finally up face to face with the old wooden door. Even without the ability to see a visible shine coated on it. Taking a deep breath I mustered all my courage and with the thought of cheap rent in mind I opened the door and stepped in.
    The minute I stepped in I felt as if I’d been injected with an almost terror like feeling, slowly seeping into my bones. Instantly I started shivering my whole body moving with the coldness that the house seemed to possess. Almost as if it was 20 degrees colder in here then outside where the winds had been moving so hard I thought my car was going to be tipped over. So to put it lightly I was terrified, and I didn’t even know what almost as if my mind was telling me that I was in danger. Though it was probably just me coming down with a cold from the stress of trying to find a cheap place to live, and now that I was here I wasn’t going to let it slip through my hands. So pulling myself together, or as much as I physically could I forced myself to walk further into the house.
    Behind me, the door slammed shut so hard the dust jumped in fright off of every surface that it had been resting on. My heart slammed into my throat with the loud sound and my breathing stopped altogether, turning there was nothing there. Though it was probably just the strong winds that had shut it because ghosts weren’t real, and I was here to prove it. My father, before he’d died in his boating accident, had left me all of his ghost haunting equipment a little hobby he had had. So taking out one of his ghost radars that he’d spent $200 dollars on, and what had caused him to sleep on the couch for a week for wasting money on toys, I fired it up and waved it around. I smiled a little thinking of all the times he’d drive us for hours to visit supposedly haunted locations. Though the grin was soon spooked away when the radar beeped loudly the sound echoing in the cold house the ghost detector lighting up a bright green, indicating to the paranormal activity.  
Taking out my large flashlight I turned it on and went in the direction of the beeping, my first mistake. It led to a large red double door not staring too long at it I opened it up and quickly got inside. I stopped when I realized it was stairs that most likely led down to the basement. Scuffing I was about to turn around not dumb enough to go down there at night alone when I felt a strong push on my back. As if someone's hands had shot out and pushed me, causing me to shoot forward, and the radar to shoot out of my hand, I tumbled painfully tripping down the stairs tumbling for what felt like hours each hit causing me blinding pain till I finally reached the bottom, my head slamming on the edge of the last step. Feeling my eyes cross I finally passed out.
Groggily I felt myself finally wake up. Though all I felt the second I did was piercing pain in my head, groaning out into what I assumed was the basement, I tried to lift my hand to my head, to check for bleeding,  only to be stopped short.
“Wha-” I interrupted myself when I saw what had stopped me from moving. The brown thick rope coiled around my entire body. Panic seized me as a some of my senses started to wake up. With the little strength that I had left, I quickly tried to move my hands around hoping to loosen the rope. I stopped when I realized that it wasn’t working, taking a big breath I slowly laid my head back down, trying not to move too fast. Looking around at the dark room I tried to see if I could spot anyone or anything that could help me out of my predicament.
‘Maybe it was the ghost’, I thought. Letting out a slight chuckle at the ridiculous thought, the feeling of getting out of here dwindled the more I laid there cold and hungry. Closing my eyes all I could hear was the shattering of my teeth and the light stomp of someone above me. My eyes shot open as the latter sound registered in my brain, struggling with the ropes a hope that someone had came to check on my possibly even save me.
“HELP,” I shouted as loudly as I could hoping that they could hear but regretted it the second my brain started pounding.
Wincing at the throbbing I once again placed my head on the cold ground, hoping with everything in me that the person wondering around had heard me. I was about to lose hope that they’d left when I didn’t hear anything but my heart soared when the sound of the basement door opened. The lights struck on and it took a moment before my eyes adjusted to see who had joined me. I almost cried in delight when I saw it was Daniel Lard, my realtor maybe he’d come to see if I was okay with telling me so many times not to come.
“Daniel,” I shouted in glee, “Oh my goodness Daniel thank God that you’re here, please help I woke up here and I can’t get out,” I shouted out struggling against the rope. When I heard no movement from him I looked up to see him standing in the same place he’d been standing. Looking at him in confusion I shouted his name once more, only for Daniel to turn around and look at a shelf behind him. Looking at the shelf I felt the color drain from my face when I finally saw what was dangling there, knives of all shapes and sizes and jars that seemed to be filled with body parts, hands, eyeballs, toes, and tongues. The more I looked the faster my heart beat, struggling harder against the ropes I ignored the pounding in my head.
“Daniel,” I shouted, “What is going on”
“Mr. Cruz, please calm down this will all be over soon”.
“What Daniel, what’s going to be over soon what in the world is going on”?
Slowly the tall and lanky man turned around a small smile on his mouth and a large knife in his hand. Cursing at the sight I felt bile rising in my throat. The small smile on Daniel’s face soon morphed into a large sinister grin an evil gleam in his dark eyes. In that moment everything seemed to speed up, my loud screams as my realtor cut into me his loud shouts yelling at me to shut up, my blood splattering on the dark marble ground, my life slowly slipping. Then everything slowed down and all I could hear was the twinkling sound of my father’s laughter as I joined him.

Hanging the knife back up I sighed in content at my latest victim now stuffed in a trash bag. Chuckling slightly that another one had fallen for the “haunted house” ploy, yes haunted by my victims. Hearing the slight ting of a new text message I looked down to see a text from a new client. Maybe a new victim. I grinned as I started the incinerator in the basement throwing in the bag with Jorge Cruz’s body. I let out a satisfied sigh, another one.