Camouflage

I’m under Mr. Brown’s desk in his chemistry classroom. Around me are the snarls of the undead, hunting for the last of the living. It’s truly become a dog-eat-dog world, or rather, a man-eat-man world…

A beaker shatters near me and I flinch. I need to get out of here!

Thinking quickly, I grab a piece of the beaker and launch it into the hallway. The crash attracts the zombies and leads them out of the classroom, but I know it’s only temporary. I shut the door and drag a desk in front of it before stuffing lab glassware into my backpack; they’ve already proven to be good distractions.

I hear growls behind me and whip around to see that zombies have broken past the barricade and are heading towards me alarmingly fast.

I need to act, now! Panicking, I grab nearby sodium azide and do what I clearly remember Mr. Brown telling us to never do; I pour the chemical down the sink and dive for cover.

Boom! A loud explosion makes zombie parts fly everywhere, landing on me in the process.

More zombies arrive at the noise, but to my surprise, they don’t head towards me. I get an idea; resisting the urge to vomit, I cover myself with more zombie guts and cautiously stand up. Nothing rushes towards me.

Huh. I slowly walk to the exit, snarling occasionally and exchanging nods with the other zombies. I guess the best way to hide really is in plain sight.