13 Maple Lane

The wind blows down Maple Lane, stirring up little tornadoes of crisp fallen leaves. Twilight settles down over the landscape, sucking the color out of everything, making the rows of perfectly maintained houses and manicured lawns look like an old black and white movie, every property seemingly identical. Except for one thing.

In the driveway of 13 Maple Lane sits a tricycle, it’s handlebars loose and turning back and forth in the crisp October wind, squeaking in the silence. It seems to have always been there, left behind by some careless child. The windows of 13 Maple Lane are boarded up, the ivy slowly overtaking the crumbly old walls, the sagging roof beginning to form holes in the soggy shingles and the lawn a hopeless tangle of weeds.

Some say, on a day like today, when everything is gray and the wind is blowing, you can hear laughter, long after everyone has gone inside and locked their doors…coming from 13 Maple Lane.

ParanormalChick said...
Awesome! Only if I would have though about this! Great you should write a full story. I liked the way you ended it. It was very mysterious!

Shelly-T said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 11:31 am
Great job--keep writing!!

LastChapter said...
I don't know why this stands out to me, because it isn't very long, nor does it go in depth about anything. But it was chilling and dark in a way that I want to read on, yet at the same time, I want it to keep it's mystery. 

writergirl13 said...
OOOOH! Chiiillllssss!! :) This is amazing!

GazellarendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That is beautiful. It could be a full horror movie and be number one on the charts in a matter of minutes. I mean, it's great. Love your work, Zero!

thesilverrose said...
O... my... word! This is incredible. I'm gonna go read the extended version now. ( :

jaquetem said...
how'd you learn to write like this????????

Joanna said...
I don't know, I like it just the length it is. It leaves so many unanswered questions but it's not annoying like it can be in other stories. Sometimes, I find, that the least amount can have the most impact.
J'amour!

So-calledLife This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 5, 2009 at 6:49 am
nice. a good beginning, you should finish it.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
you should write a full ghost story. So cryptic your writing, and that's why i love it!

Nyx_X said...
Erie. I love it.

Lia N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
alright. so you have a great beginning and details but you really need to elaborate on the ending. Yes, okay, there's a laugh but make it more suspenceful and creepy. This could COULD turn into a great story, but right now it's just not there yet