The Death App | Teen Ink

The Death App

By alexis.sparkss SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia
alexis.sparkss SILVER, Culpeper, Virginia

I live in a small town up north of Texas. Recently all the news has been about is all the deaths caused by suicide. Along with all the robberies that have been going on at pawn shops. It was about 3 weeks ago when all of this chaos started happening. None of the bodies have been found and nobody in the police force can figure out why these things are happening, so they are unsolved cases. I used to watch the news every morning, but I stopped because of all the depressing stories being told. Even though I stopped watching the news on TV, I still get updated by my phone and other people at school.
So it was a normal day at school with everyone talking about what happened on the news. While I was sitting at my desk trying to ignore the world and focus on what was important for my future; I got a notification on my phone saying “App Download Complete”. I was confused because I hadn't downloaded anything recently. I unlocked my phone and there was a weird app on it. It was pink and had a symbol in the middle. I tried to open it, nothing happened. This app was useless to me, so I tried to delete it, didn’t work. I’ve never seen this app before. I was looking up descriptions of the app on Safari but it froze then crashed on me. After my 1st period bell rang I went up to my group of friends and asked if they knew what it was. They had no clue. During 2nd period that’s all I could think about. I just had to let the app be and see what it did. After 2nd period my mood flipped. I was sad for the rest of the day with no reason to be sad. I didn’t talk to any of my friends in my classes or in the hall. I was just ignoring everything while I listened to my thoughts run with sadness. When the school day was over I went straight home and up into my room. To me it felt like a long, stressful day when actually it was normal like any other. I just needed a nap, so I took one 5 minutes after laying on my soft sheets.
I woke up and it was 12 a.m. Nobody came to wake me up, but my phone did. It was that weird app on my phone that I got yesterday morning. I unlocked my phone and went to the app. After I opened the app a gaze went over me. It was like I could see and hear everything I was doing but I couldn’t control what my mind was telling my body to do. The app gave me a list of instructions to do, first I had to go to our local pawn shop. Once I read the instructions I couldn’t get out of doing them. My body got up and snuck out of my house. I got to the pawn shop and broke in without the alarms going off. In the instructions it said I had to grab a diamond ring, a real gold grammy award, the diamond titanic necklace from one of the survivors and rope. The next step was to go to this empty well and dump the stolen treasures in it. I was thinking in my mind that this was crazy. I just betrayed my parents then committed a crime! Next thing I know I’m at this well dumping the treasures. After that the next step was to take one of the rocks off the well and take it with me to our state bridge. When I got to the state bridge the next step was to tie the rock with the rope to my foot. The last step.. jump off the bridge into the ice water. I jumped. The second I jumped the gaze was gone and I was back into my mind and reality. I screamed and panicked then plunged into sharp knives that stabbed me all over. I could remember seeing the moonlight fade away as I sunk to the bottom. Blackness filled my eyes and oxygen left my lungs and filled with water. I was dead.. or so I thought.
I was revived on the beach side coughing up the water. With blurred vision I saw a man. He said that he was here to help and that he was a detective in our local state police. I couldn’t speak because I was still in shock of what just happened. He picked me up, carried me to his car and put me into the seat. I warmed back up in the car and then that’s when I started asking all my questions. He didn’t answer any of my questions and said that we would talk about it when we got to the police station. We pulled up to the station and walked inside. I sat in the waiting room while the detective called my parents. When my parents got there they were so happy to see me and mad but with love.
We all stepped into the detective's office and I told him everything that happened. Thank god he was assigned there for suspicious activity or I would’ve actually died. I thanked him for saving my life after our discussion. We ended up on the news the next day and people from school that I’ve never talked to me before started talking to me about my incident. 3 weeks later the police finally solved all the unsolved cases. These wells all around Texas connect to an underground cult. This cult believes everything is all about themselves. They think that they deserve all the riches and that they should rule the world with no one else on this planet. They had created a suicide app that got sent out to a bunch of unlucky people.  The cult got locked up for life in a high security insane asylum. After this experience, I have never touched or owned a phone ever again.

This was a journal piece I had to do in my Creative Writing class. The prompt was : Yesterday you found a new app on your phone, it doesn’t open, you can’t delete it and you don’t know what it is. Tonight you’re woken up by an alert on your phone. It’s the app notifying you of some very specific instructions.