Run/ Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Run/ Chapter 1

He was behind the corner, I was scared and too tiered to run. I slipped in one of the big trash bins next to the tall apartment building. Since the bin wasn't completely full, there was space just enough for me to get in and close the top. I heard him coming. Big, heavy steps getting closer and closer to where I was. I could hear how he steps in each puddle, created from the rain, not even caring about the water and his soaking socks. I could feel how close he was, so I held my breath. The only sound I could hear was the voice of the barking dogs which were probably half a mile away. Then he left. I was too scared to go out yet and decided to wait. Suddenly I realised my hands were shaking, I didn't know if it was because I was scared or of February’s cold weather. Maybe it was both but I didn't have energy to think about it.
A slight warmth in my feet woke me up. I opened my eyes and saw the sunlight coming trough the open lid. It took me around around a minute to remember what had happened. I didn't know what to do, actually I didn’t even know how I feel. I was finally free but I didn't have where to go or anyone I know. I felt like I was born for the second time. It was a whole new life, but was it for the better?
The ground was still wet from the rain last night but it felt somehow different, it was a lot softer, the sun looked brighter, it seemed like there were millions of colours around me. I was in the same city but not in that black and white sad street anymore. This was the real world. But the thought of being in the same city made me think I'm still in danger. I knew it will haunt me forever. That’s when I decided I have to leave as soon as possible and as far as I can get. The first part of my journey had past but I knew there was a lot more to go. What I didn't know was that it was just gonna get harder.

I started walking, it seemed like the only thing I could do at that moment. I couldn't take the risk of staying at the same place, it wasn't safe. I had no idea where I was going, all I could think of was how hungry I was. The smell of fresh baked bread was my favourite since I was a little child. And now it was everywhere around me. All the bakeries were working and full with people. Businessmen getting a sandwich and coffee on the way to work, elders sitting near the window with their little puppies looking like dolls, drinking English breakfast tee or the students from university getting a take away americano for school. Passing by one of the shops I notices a shortbread box on one go the tables next to the door. There was no one sitting on the table and it was very crowded, I didn't fancy anyone would mind. I stood next to the chair and put the box under my shirt. When I got out I ran as fast as I could to to the nearest train station. I sat on one of the benches, crossed my legs and took out the box. There were 10 biscuits in total, I ate three and figured out I would keep the others for later. A train arrived and I took the opportunity. I joined the crowed getting on. It was the first time I was on a train so I just followed everyone else. There was only one place next to an old gentleman. He had a big coat and an expensive navy blue suit with a red tie under it. His hair was white and rare, almost bold. I didn't say anything and quietly waited till the train hit the trail. In a few minutes I saw an information sign saying “Manchester”.
- “Manchester”, it kept echoing in my head. That was the place where my new life was gonna continue. It was the city where I would finally be able to live and be myself.

I am writing a short story and this is just the first part of it. I decided to post it in order to get other's oppinion and find out what people think about it before I finish it.